Position Purpose: This temporary full-time position will assist DAM’s Exhibitions and Collection Services team to successfully plan, install and maintain the highest standards of exhibition lighting in all galleries and exhibition spaces.
Assist with all aspects of lighting design, planning, ordering of fixtures, maintenance and tracking of inventory for all galleries and exhibition spaces. In addition, and as the schedule allows, assist with buildout and production work related to exhibitions including but not limited to: drywall and build-out, painting, cabinetry, wiring and electrical work, lighting, installing graphics, and demolition, matting and framing, art installation and crating and packing. Assist with other projects throughout the Exhibition and Collection Services department as needed.
- Work with DAM’s contract lighting designer to plan, coordinate, install and maintain all aspects of gallery and exhibition lighting for the newly renovated Martin Building gallery reinstallations. In addition, plan, coordinate, install and maintain all aspects of gallery and exhibition lighting for the Hamilton building including burnout replacements.
- Assist with the coordination, scheduling and oversight of outside on-call lighting technicians and outside lighting contractors as needed. Assist the Manager and Associate Managers of Exhibition Production to ensure on-call and contractor work is within specification. Assist with managing and escorting contractors while they are on DAM premises and coordinate their access and necessary paperwork with Protective and Facilities Services.
- Setting and maintaining light levels with a light meter (foot candles or lux) for all specific types of artworks in many different settings; special exhibition galleries, collection galleries, atrium spaces and rotating galleries. Work closely with conservation staff to identify and appropriately light objects to required levels.
- Assist in securing estimates, ordering, and arranging delivery or pickup, and processing invoices for related gallery lighting fixtures, supplies and materials.
- Assist with fabricating, modifying, and maintaining integrated lighting for exhibition platforms, cabinetry and pedestals. Must be able to interpret production drawings and specifications of exhibition components.
- Work closely with Manager of Exhibition Production, Project Managers, staff electrician, contract designers, curatorial, L&E and Office of the Director and other museum stakeholders. Organize, prepare and coordinate all lighting mock ups and develop various lighting layouts and specifications for all lighting fixtures.
- Assist with wall installation, gallery patching and painting, gallery maintenance and other build-out activities as needed in preparation for an exhibition or installation.
- Assist with all aspects of rotation activities in museum galleries, and work closely with other areas of ECS to ensure a seamless and efficient implementation process
- Assist with other Exhibitions and Collections Services departments including Collections Management, Registrar, and Photography on various projects as needed.
- Train and supervise on-call employees
- Other duties as assigned.