Responsible for performing all aspects of processing prescription refill authorization in the care of patients in a culturally diverse population. Using established guidelines, the Refill Services Specialist facilitates authorization of medication refills for clinic patients. This position plays a key role in maintaining a high level of patient satisfaction by providing patients with exceptional customer service and serving as the liaison between patients, providers and pharmacies.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Receive refill requests by fax, or e-Prescribe, or phone message. Authorizes Rx refills according to Refill Protocol using the Electronic Medical Record (EMR). Effectively and appropriately responds to patients, pharmacies, pharmacists and clinic staff
- Communicate verbally with patients and/or patient representatives as needed. Communicates with patients in a manner that is appropriate for age and level of understanding to purvey RX information
- Refer all questions of a clinical nature to a clinical pharmacist or medical provider
- Research medication-related patient health information. Processes and triages requests in a timely manner
- Work collaboratively with providers, pharmacists, and pharmacies and maintains updated process information
- Completes required documentation
- Responds to changes in workload schedule and re-prioritizes as necessary; continually uses time in a productive manner to meet workload demands including incoming faxes and e-prescribing
- Reports to the Supervisor/Manager any suggestions for positive changes or recommendations within the scope of the department function, and in view of existing policies and procedures
- Attends required meetings and participate in committees as requested
- Seek to understand and meet the needs of customers (patients, families, vendors, co-workers, etc.) through respectful, courteous and culturally sensitive interactions
- Actively participate and work positively, flexibly and cooperatively in a team effort within and across departments to accomplish the goals of the organization
- Know, understand and adhere to organizational policy related to the patient's rights for confidential care
- Other duties as assigned
Work Demands and Physical Demands
This job can be completely remote after training. This job operates in a healthcare setting and remote. This role requires regular walking to various locations around the clinic. This role also routinely comes into contact with patients who may have contagious illnesses. This position is minimally active and requires infrequent standing, walking, bending, kneeling, and stooping.
Who We Are
As Minnesota's largest Federally Qualified Health Center, Minnesota Community Care ensures that the communities we serve have access to high quality and affordable health care. Approximately 85% of our patients are people of color from Asian, African American, American Indian or Latinx communities, and 98% of our patients had incomes below 200% of federal poverty guidelines.
Minnesota Community Care is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.