The Digital Managing Editor is the lead digital journalist ensuring the WHRO newsroom is reaching all of Hampton Roads, targeting our content to reach the people who need and rely on it.
This person will create and implement an engagement strategy that uses online tools and more experimental avenues, like virtual events, emerging social media platforms and more. They will lead WHRO Journalism as it launches a daily newsletter and creates a robust social media presence, managing a team of digital producers and collaborating with our team of reporters, producers and partners, to serve targeted audiences on the platforms they prefer.
The Digital Managing Editor will work closely with WHRO’s digital strategies and marketing teams to ensure continuity of work and policies and to communicate newsroom priorities.
- Will manage a team of digital producers and lead the newsroom when the News Director is unavailable.
- Create, oversee and carry out audience engagement strategy based on newsroom’s larger strategic plan and with a focus on reaching new audiences
- Assist in the design and creation of a scalable daily newsletter for WHRO Journalism
- Select stories and oversee the writing, editing and distribution of a daily (weekday) digital newsletter collaborating with local and statewide news partners and considering cross-departmental content for possible inclusion.
- Manage A/B testing campaigns to improve open-rates & click-thru rates
- Manage the online presentation of news stories on the WHRO website, including writing accurate, SEO-friendly headlines
- Coordinate social media posting with WHRO marketing department
- Develop, maintain and enforce social media standards for WHRO Journalism in conjunction with other departments, including marketing.
- Lead newsroom efforts on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter as well as appropriate new platforms, like TikTok
- Track, analyze and adjust engagement strategy based on metrics and analytics
- Work with station’s digital strategies department to become the newsroom expert on the station’s content management system
- Assist in expanding WHRO Journalism’s reach by pitching new, creative outreach plans
- Occasionally edit short online news stories and other content created by digital producers and reporters
- Create engagement, social media and outreach campaigns with marketing and other departments as needed.
- In the future, assist in recruitment, hiring, training and management of digital producers
- Provide day-to-day newsroom leadership when the news director is absent
- Other duties as assigned