The Middle School Math Specialist is a full time, long-term substitute position, beginning in August 2022 and ending in December 2022. THe individual in this role will partner with one other math specialists who support grades 4-6. The person in this role would be responsible for working with their assigned grade levels and would report to the Division Head(s) and Department Chair for those grades. The individual in this role will work with grade level teams to plan and implement mathematics instruction within a coherent K-12 construct. The math specialist works in partnership with the classroom teachers at these grade levels to guide the academic as well as the social- emotional growth of a class of students. In addition, the math specialist will work closely with the K-6 math team to ensure alignment and best practices across grade levels. The ability to appreciate and work effectively across individual and cultural differences is essential.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate, motivate and understand the academic and emotional needs of students
- Plan and implement lessons in mathematics that facilitate active learning and follow Potomac’s curricular guidelines and requirements
- Model best practices in mathematics instruction within classroom settings
- Coach teachers in building their mathematical skill sets
- Identify and monitor the math needs of individual students
- Work with classroom teachers and students to provide differentiated instruction for a range of learners
- Facilitate weekly grade level math meetings to help guide discussion about implementation, reflection of student work, various teaching methods.
- Work collaboratively with other teachers, parents, support staff, and members of the community
- Communicate effectively with parents to discuss student progress and areas for growth
- Provide materials that enhance and support the mathematics curriculum
- Coordinate ongoing professional development and/or training for faculty
- Implement parent education for Potomac families
- Participate in faculty and professional meetings, educational conferences, and training workshops
- Perform other duties as assigned