The St. Louis Jewish Community Center (the J) has been providing excellent health and cultural experiences for the entire community for over 140 years. Members and program participants enjoy access to state-of-the-art facilities and programs, arts, and sports experiences. Employees enjoy a large range of benefits including a complimentary membership! The Js culture is warm and inclusive to all, employees are safe being who they are at work. Be a part of this amazing team and community.
The J is seeking a Director of Development that will lead and grow the Js fundraising program. This person will be ambitious, resourceful and ready for a challenge. This position is an executive level position reporting directly to the President/CEO and serves on the Js Executive team. The organization is poised for growth and will require a Development Director who is ready to grow as well. They will implement and lead the expansion of a comprehensive strategic, creative, and entrepreneurial development program that will affirm and celebrate the mission, impact, and future growth of the J. The Director of Development will join a committed, passionate, and talented team dedicated to the Js mission and it continued excellence and success.
- Create an annual development plan and budget as well as a strategically forward looking 5-year plan to grow the current pipeline.
- Participate in major institutional decision-making, especially as related to development, such as setting fund raising goals and integrating development strategies into the Js overall mission.
- Implement and grow annual major gift program as well as broadly targeted endowment contributions.
- Hire, train, supervise and lead the Development team by providing ongoing feedback, actively coaching and mentoring, management of performance to goals and identifying targeted professional development opportunities.
- Launch a legacy program for estate planning gifts.
- Work in partnership with our Women's Auxiliary, The J Associates, to help facilitate fundraising efforts on behalf of the J.
- Moves management and donor tracking is a priority. Reporting out of the development software is expected including proposals submitted, donor touch points, expected number of meetings, etc. Quarterly scorecard on dollars in the door and expected revenue will be necessary to stay on track and report to the Board Development committee.
- Supervise development department events.
- Must be on a constant mission to strengthen the organization-wide culture of philanthropy.
- Identify new opportunities and support ongoing efforts in the attainment of grants from foundation and corporate sources. Write and submit grant applications, proposals, sponsorship packages, etc. on behalf of the J.
- Establish strategies to approach funders, both corporate and individuals, and develop creative ways of promoting the Js programs for support.
- Supervise the stewardship of all spendable and endowed funds at the J, taking special care that the funds are being used at the donors intent, that the donor is being recognized and that we are soliciting new dollars into those funds.
- Work together with the Js Marketing Department to build and enhance public relations efforts, including defining message and creating necessary collateral material.
- Collaborate with Board Members and other volunteers to support fundraising efforts for the organization.
- Plan for and manage capital and special campaigns, as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned by manager.