Shift4 Payments (NYSE: FOUR) is a leading provider of integrated payment processing and technology solutions, delivering a complete omnichannel ecosystem that extends beyond payments to include a wide range of value-added services. The company’s technologies help power over 350 software providers in numerous industries, including hospitality, retail, F&B, e-commerce, lodging, gaming, and many more. With over 7,000 sales partners, the company securely processed more than 3.5 billion transactions annually for over 200,000 businesses in 2019. For more information, visit shift4.com.
Shift4 is seeking a seasoned Director, Technical Accounting to provide a proactive approach toward evaluating proposed technical standards. This role will report to the Corporate Controller and be responsible for assessment and implementation of all technical accounting topics including evaluation, documentation and communication of all new accounting standards and addressing accounting issues through preparation of technical accounting memos.
This role will address technical accounting issues on a wide variety of topics including revenue recognition, restructuring transactions, acquisition accounting/due diligence, leases, debt and equity transactions, credit losses, fair value measurement, earnings per share, non-controlling interest, and stock compensation.
This role can be located anywhere in the U.S. Remote based employees may occasionally need to travel to Shift4 headquarters in Allentown, PA or to its subsidiaries for meetings.
- Own technical accounting policies and be responsible for the understanding of and compliance with existing U.S. GAAP.
- Research accounting standards for new and complex transactions.
- Lead adoption of ASC 842 and CECL, as well as other accounting standards, as applicable.
- Responsible for preparing the earnings per share calculation on a quarterly basis.
- Act as business partner to internal stakeholders to assess the accounting and financial reporting impact of new/strategic business initiatives.
- Lead annual review and documentation of Intangible Assets & Goodwill impairment procedures.
- Collaborate with the Legal Department to review new or changed contracts with our customers as well as those related to business partnerships and entity structuring to identify any accounting implications.
- Manages the assessment of accounting implications of new accounting pronouncements and establishes a process for frequent and appropriate communication to the Corporate Controller.
- Serve as primary technical accounting contact liaison with external auditors.
- Demonstrate expertise in US GAAP by:
- Interpreting U.S. GAAP accounting standards and SEC guidance to determine the accounting and financial reporting treatment for new, material, and/or complex, unusual transactions or agreements.
- Creating and overseeing content of accounting policies.
- Determining impacts of emerging business issues.
- Reviewing the opening balance sheet relating to any M&A activity.
- Overseeing total implementation of new accounting pronouncements, including coordination with cross-functional teams.
- Serving as a primary contact for technical inquiries from corporate functions.
- Clearly articulating conclusions with members of Finance leadership team.
- Collaborating with FP&A in developing GAAP forecasts.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- CPA required
- 10+ years of relevant work experience, including 6+ years at a BIG 4 accounting firm.
- Experience in a technical accounting role of a U.S. public company.
- Thorough knowledge and experience of current SEC rules and regulations.
- Strong technical accounting background and understanding of complex accounting transactions.
- Ability to perform advanced technical accounting research and analysis, and documenting results and conclusions.
- Advanced knowledge of US GAAP (IFRS a plus).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (will need to provide a sample of a written accounting analysis).
- Acting with integrity and demonstrating strong professional judgment.
- Demonstrating resilience and adaptability to changing business priorities.
- Payment processing company experience a plus.
- Experience with business combinations, business valuations and asset valuations are strongly preferred.
Shift4 Payments provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.