The Chief of Staff is a member of the Presidents senior leadership team, reporting directly to the President. As the principal aide to the President, the Chief of Staff coordinates all presidential office operations and activities in support of institutional priorities and supports the President and Board of Trustees. Additionally, the Chief of Staff advises the President on policy, procedural and operational issues of the university, and may be charged with leading the operationalization of strategic initiatives for the President. The Chief of Staff represents the President to senior vice presidents, campus officials, and critical external constituents.
Duties and Responsibilities with the Office of the President
- Serves as a member of the Presidents senior leadership team and actively participates with the President and other senior vice presidents in strategic institutional planning, policy development, and problem resolution.
- Assist the President with organizing and prioritizing initiatives to achieve strategic goals, monitor and track metrics, and drive the design and/or execution of deliverables.
- Provides counsel to the President and serves as a sounding board and advises on sensitive matters. Synthesizes information from a variety of internal and external sources and ensures the President has all the information necessary to make informed decisions. Provides excellent judgment, diplomacy, and understanding of University issues to support the President.
- Assists in coordinating University-wide projects that cross various University divisions.
- Handle various special projects and advise the President on a wide variety of executive and administrative matters, helps set the tone for communications emanating from the Presidents Office, and represent the President, as needed, with internal and external constituents.
- Oversee operations and staff of the Presidents Office, including management of staff, budgets, and policies and procedures to maximize the effectiveness of the Office of the President with respect to workflow, scheduling, communications, events, and interactions with key internal and external constituencies. Ensures the Presidents priorities and initiatives are effectively implemented.
- Establish, maintain, and oversee an organizational structure within the Presidents Office to accomplish effectively the Universitys goals and objectives. Provide clear direction and oversight of all office activities.
- Ensures all organizational units of the President are in line with overall University policies, goals, and mission. Helps lead in change management efforts, partnering with appropriate leaders and staff to achieve goals.
- Create materials for external stakeholders such as the Board, faculty, staff, and students, including written communications, reports, PowerPoint presentations, and talking points.
- Collaborate with the associated departments on campus to develop content and structure for internal meetings, town halls and events and ensure follow up on action items
- Serve as liaison or represent the Presidents Office on University committees or provide leadership to key administrative groups, task forces, and committees as assigned by the President.
- Work with the President to drive and coordinate various cross-departmental projects, maintaining and communicating timelines and documenting progress.
- Facilitate information flow and sharing among staff in support of effective and timely decision making
- Aid in the planning, execution and communication of Senior Administration Leadership Team and Cabinet meetings and follow up on action items.
- Attend meetings and conferences with the President as requested. Prepare notes and action items from each meeting. Participate in debriefings. Relay follow-up information to departments and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Improve operational efficiency of the organization by establishing internal protocols and maximizing current resources.
- Manage annual goal setting and tracking progress for the Senior Administrative Leadership Team.
- Coordinate high-level administrative support and assist other members of the Senior Administrative Leadership Team as necessary. This may include drafting letters and memos, creating reports, and processing communications.
- Undertake and oversee special projects, and perform other duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities with the Board of Trustees
- Serves as the Universitys chief liaison with the Board of Trustees, working on behalf of the University President. Handles program support activities and matters of institutional significance for the Board on behalf of, and in collaboration with the President.
- Serves as the primary conduit for communication between the Board and senior leadership through timely distribution of materials such as agendas, meeting minutes, and other Board materials.
- Provides advice and resources to the Board on relevant topics including governance matters, fiduciary duties, and adherence to bylaws and compliance.
- Working closely with the President, Board chair, and senior leadership, builds and coordinates agendas for all Board of Trustees meetings. Serves as the internal administrator for the Governance Committee. Helps establish meeting cadences and follows up on necessary matters to accelerate completion.
- Ensures meeting minutes and board actions are recorded accurately and in a timely way. Responsible for ensuring the proper management of Board records.
Oglethorpe University is committed to having a workforce which reflects the true diversity of the students we serve, and we enourage underrepresented groups to apply.