Under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Finance is responsible for budgeting and reporting financial reporting, developing and maintaining accounting practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements in accordance with regulatory requirements for funders and nonprofit organizations.
The Director of Finance is responsible for general ledger management, monthly year-end, and grant year closings, accounts payable, funder's reports and audit preparation.
The Director of Finance supervises the financial staff to ensure work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and will have contact with senior-level managers, the C-Suite, and funders, which requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
The ideal candidate will directly oversee and manage the corporate budget, managing the Agency's audit process, financial statement preparations and maintain strong relationships with funders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Directs and oversees all aspects of Finance and General Accounting.
- Monitor, maintain and report on funds in bank accounts.
- Prepare monthly journal entries for the accounting system including payroll.
- Maintain security deposit accounting (deposits and payments).
- Reconcile all bank accounts every month.
- Prepare financial reports for internal use and for the Board of Directors.
- Observe trends and make assessments for the growth and sustainability of the organization: prevention of unnecessary losses to the organization funds to maximize impact.
- Implements timeline/strategic plans, which required execution in a timely manner.
- Verify grant invoices, receipts, and reports status regularly and prior to submission with program directors.
- Maintain, refine and update grant tracking system.
- Maintain, refine and update the timekeeping and data system for grant allocation and payroll.
- Prepare budgets for all grants including government and foundation for applications and regular reporting.
- In collaboration with the Executive Leadership Team, prepare the annual budget and budget presentation for approval of Chief Executive Officer, Finance Chair and Board of Directors.
- Responsible for oversight of seven budgets, annual external audit, and preparation for the annual processes.
- Track, report and maintain files on all 1099 workers and produce 1099 form each year for each contractor.
- Prepare agenda, minutes and attend the Finance and Audit Committee Meetings.
- Update Finance Manual, Policies and Procedures as required.
- Coordinate the Procurement Process.
- Provide trainings to agency staff regarding financial procedures as required.
- Oversee financial records and files.
- Participate as an integral part of the Executive Leadership Team.
- Attend all Board Meetings and staff meetings
- Develops cost reduction strategies
- Oversees employees responsible for compiling reports for budgets
- Ensures employees are in compliance with protocols and regulations.
- Assigns duties and deadline to the Finance Department staff.
- Daily supervision and evaluation of staff.
- Responsible for the hiring, supervision, development, evaluation, and termination of accounting staff.
- Abide by professional confidentiality guidelines by only sharing client information within the organization when it meets the needs of the client.
- Demonstrate the ability to abide by Human Options’ values: Show dignity, respect, honesty, integrity, and commitment to excellence, and maintain a supportive environment.