Midwest Family Mutual Insurance Company is seeking an experienced Field Claims Adjuster. Applicants should have 5 or more years of experience handling Property and Casualty claims in the field. The position requires extended periods of driving and requires the physical ability to climb ladders, walk roofs, and perform other functions in the field. The territory is the State of Arizona focused mostly in the greater Phoenix Metropolitan area.
The field adjuster’s role in the claim is to inspect, investigate, and prepare estimates for covered damage. Tasks include driving, taking recorded statements, photographing damaged property, preparing diagrams and estimates, identifying and recommending appropriate reserves, negotiating with contractors and body shops to reach agreed price for covered repairs, and completing detailed and well-written reports. The adjuster will also complete underwriting inspections in the field on new business and renewals. The field adjuster must be an effective communicator and is expected to provide superior customer service in interactions with policyholders and other parties involved in the claim handling process.
- In-depth understanding of Personal and Commercial insurance policy coverages and applications
- Strong customer service and conflict resolution capabilities
- Ability to effectively manage and coordinate multiple party involvement to ensure smooth claim process
- Strong negotiation skills to effect prompt and fair claim settlements
- Investigate claims, including taking recorded statements, photographing and measuring damage, and writing estimates.
- Strong knowledge of auto body repair and ability to utilize specialty software to write auto and truck estimates
- Strong knowledge of building construction and ability to utilize specialty software to write estimates on commercial and residential properties
- Ability to read financial statements and understand basic accounting and business income principles
- Ability to think “outside the box” and demonstrate problem solving skills
- Strong computer skills are necessary to effectively operate in the paperless Claims Management System
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. Must be able to operate Microsoft Office, specifically Word, and have at least a rudimentary knowledge of Excel.
- Must be able to prepare and present thoughtful and detailed reports.
- Must be able to organize a workload that involves heavy communication via written correspondence, email, and telephone.
- Continuing education to maintain state-specific licensing requirements
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Ability to absorb and adapt to changing technologies in the work environment
- Responsible for complying with proper internal controls as necessary to conduct job functions and/or carry out responsibilities and/or administrative activities at the Company.
- College degree preferred
- AIC, CPCU or other Insurance-related designation
- At least 5 years equivalent work experience in Claims Adjusting
- Must have a valid Driver’s License and clean driving record
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned