In an authentically diverse community reflective of Los Angeles, New Roads prepares young people for life by developing in them a personal dedication to learning, a respect for independent thinking, an expanding curiosity about the world and its people, and a commitment to the common good.
New Roads Elementary School is seeking a Temporary Long-Term Substitute Teacher to teach Elementary School Science starting August 2021 through January 2022. The Long-Term Substitute Science Teacher is a professional, experienced and passionate educator with demonstrated teaching experience in inquiry-based science education at the elementary school level (grades K-5).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan and teach science twice weekly for each class and five small group math classes per week for elementary school grades, K-5
- Adapt conventional and unconventional curriculum tools to explore science and engineering topics with students
- Encourage students to ask questions, express their opinions, and make the mistakes necessary for productive inquiry-based learning
- Incorporate multiple techniques of instruction, including discussion, hands-on labs and activities, scientific writing and drawing
- Understand lower and upper elementary students’ developmental milestones and socio-emotional lives
- Ensure students are engaged through activities and technology that accommodate various learning styles, personality styles, behavioral styles, and the need for physical movement
- Maintain and communicate high expectations and boundaries in a consistently kind, clear and respectful manner
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to work with families upon request and attend all conferences
- Follow the interests of students in a measured and meaningful way
- Supervise students during some recesses and lunch each week