The Fund for Public Health in New York City (FPHNYC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), FPHNYC incubates innovative public health initiatives implemented by DOHMH to advance community health throughout the city. It facilitates partnerships, often new and unconventional, between government and the private sector to develop, test, and launch new initiatives. These collaborations speed the execution of demonstration projects, effect expansion of successful pilot programs, and support rapid implementation to meet the public health needs of individuals, families, and communities across New York City.
The mission of the Public Health Laboratory (PHL) is to ensure the health of all New York City (NYC) residents by providing quality laboratory testing services which address the needs of the NYC DOHMH and its community partners as they respond to clinical and environmental public health concerns.
The NYC DOHMH’s eight Sexual Health Clinics (SHC) provide low-to-no cost sexual health services to all in a welcoming, stigma-free, environment. Modeled after the Dean Street Express in London, the NYC PHL opened the first Quickie Laboratory site in June, 2019 at the Chelsea SHC in Manhattan. The Quickie Laboratory provides rapid chlamydia and gonorrhea (CT and NG) testing for asymptomatic patients from self-collected specimens without seeing a clinical provider. Results are returned to the patient in four hours or less through a user-friendly patient portal to expedite access to treatment. After the successful launch of the Chelsea Quickie Laboratory, the DOHMH has expanded the Quickie model to a total of nine DOHMH clinics, including the Fort Greene SHC in Brooklyn, focused on providing COVID-19 testing. Post-pandemic response, the SHC Quickie labs will focus on sexual health testing. The Fort Greene clinic has a newly renovated Express clinic as well as the new Quickie Lab.
This position will serve, in the short term to oversee COVID-19 testing at several DOHMH sites, and will pivot to overseeing sexual health testing as the Laboratory Director for Quickie Laboratories, including the Fort Greene Quickie Laboratory at the Fort Green Sexual Health Clinic in Brooklyn. The Laboratory Director will be responsible for all laboratory testing, managing schedules and budgets, providing strategic planning and direction, and providing general oversight of the laboratories. The incumbent will also be responsible for training and supervising personnel involved with COVID-19 testing. Lastly, the Laboratory Director will be responsible for ensuring that all testing is compliant with NYS CLEP regulations.
- Providing clinical and administrative oversight of Quickie laboratories
- Developing goals and objectives in accordance with the mission of the Public Health Laboratory
- Ensuring the provision of cross training and skill development opportunities to staff assigned at the Quickie Laboratories
- Developing policies, protocols and procedures for the operation of the labs, ensuring compliance with all regulatory requirements, and professional accrediting organizations’ recommendations and guidelines
- Monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of the areas under supervision
- Directing long and short-term program planning activities
- Serving as senior executive officer of the assigned area and principal advisor to the Assistant Commissioner of the Public Health Laboratory in establishing operational and program policies, guidelines, and procedures
- Collaborate with DOHMH, City, State, and community partners