What You Bring
- Experience: Deep knowledge of content, pedagogy, and instruction, with at least four years of teaching experience in a given K-12 content/grade band.
- College-Readiness Expertise: Strong familiarity and experience with state and national teaching standards as they relate to College-readiness standards, such as A.P. assessment frameworks, Common Core State Standards, and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
- Understand Effective Teaching and/or School Leadership: Immediate understanding of what effective teaching and or school leadership looks like and a deep commitment to the importance of effective and rigorous instruction.
- Technology Proficiency: Ability to facilitate a learning experience in an online LMS such as Blackboard, Canvas, and/or Google Classroom. These skills include but are not limited to:
- Ability to navigate and create course content in an LMS such as Blackboard and Google Classroom.
- Ability to build a learning experience for teachers and students using content authoring tools such as Articulate.
- Expert Communicator: The ability to communicate direct feedback compellingly inspires teachers and leaders to make immediate improvements to instruction that will accelerate their students’ achievement—strong written and oral communication skills.
- Flexible – You are comfortable working in an ambiguous environment with competing priorities.
- Growth Mindset: You learn from failure and crave feedback because you know that it makes you better; you are also eager to give feedback to your manager, team, and colleagues. You are committed to ongoing training and education in adult facilitation.
- Committed: Ability to deliver a total of 100+ hours of teacher, leader, and/or student-facing events over the program year. Many events occur during the summer and on Saturdays, but some weekday school-year events may need to be facilitated.
- Other Preferred Experience: STEM-based learning experience, experience in high-need schools or with high-need populations, and a proven track record of raising student achievement is preferred. A.P. Reader experience is preferred for Coaches who will work with A.P. teachers and students. Experience coaching teachers in modifying, adapting, or extending curricula to address student needs better and facilitating professional development
What We Offer
The hourly rate for this position is $30/hour ($33/hour in the Tri-State area – N.Y., NJ, CT). We take pay equity seriously and work hard to ensure our team members are paid fairly no matter their gender, race, or other demographic backgrounds. Part-time staff are eligible to participate in 401(k) after 90 days of employment, with up to a 6% employee match, fully vested on day one of participation in the plan. NMSI Coaches are provided ongoing opportunities to continue their professional learning through participation in our Coach Development Pathways. We strive to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff members can show up as their authentic selves.
Want to learn more? Go to www.nms.org/coaches
The National Math and Science Initiative is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to transforming math and science education in today’s classrooms and ensuring that all students have the knowledge and skills to thrive in the global economy of the 21st century. Founded in 2007, NMSI began by dramatically improving student participation and success in rigorous Advanced Placement math, science and English courses in 85 courses across seven states. Today, NMSI has scaled its proven program to serve more than 1.5 million students, 50,000 teachers, 1,000 high schools and 45 universities across 40 states and is having a demonstrable and lasting impact on student outcomes. Go to www.nms.org to learn more.
All NMSI employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or secure an approved exemption no later than 45 days from their official start date. Exemption requests will not be accepted or reviewed before an employee’s start date
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
National Math + Science Initiative (NMSI) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. NMSI complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.