Title: Manager of State Government Relations
Report: Senior Director of Public Policy
Location: Washington D.C.
Travel: Approximately 25%
About the National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS):
The National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS) is the leading human rights organization for all individuals with Down syndrome. NDSS envisions a world in which all people with Down syndrome have the opportunity to enhance their quality of life, realize their life aspirations, and become valued members of welcoming communities. Founded in 1979, NDSS supports and advocates for the Down syndrome community by focusing on three key areas of programming: Resources & Support, Policy & Advocacy, and Community Engagement. Within these focus areas NDSS engages in various activities, events, and programs on topics that are critical to our community such as federal and state advocacy and public policy, health and wellness, education, and employment. NDSS creates resources to support individuals with Down syndrome, their families, and caregivers across the lifespan and hosts awareness and engagement events throughout the country including the National Buddy Walk® Program, the Times Square Video presentation and New York City Buddy Walk®, Racing for 3.21 on World Down Syndrome Day, Run for 3.21, DC Golf Outing, the annual NDSS Gala & Auction, and various other events. Visit www.ndss.org for more information about NDSS.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Public Policy, the Manager of State Government Relations will execute the advocacy vision and government relations strategy at the state level. Coordinating closely with the Policy & Advocacy team, this role will monitor state-level legislative and regulatory activity in all NDSS’ priority areas: Health Care & Research, Education, Community Integration, Economic Self-Sufficiency, and Employment. This role will engage directly and represent NDSS with state legislators and their staff, executive officers, and key stakeholders as well as NDSS grassroots advocates.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
To perform in this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
- Directly engages state legislative and executive offices to advance NDSS’ government relations agenda
- Monitors, analyzes, and makes recommendations related to state legislative, regulatory, and executive activity
- Ensures that NDSS state government relations activity complement other advocacy and community programming
- Directly engages with and develops NDSS’ network of grassroots advocates throughout the country
- Leads NDSS’ state policy communications, action alerts, and social media activity
- Develops and coordinates materials and resources to effectively advocate on NDSS’s legislative positions
- Drafts legislation, testimony, talking points, briefings and presentations for various audiences
- Ensures alignment of state government relations strategy with both federal government relations and overall advocacy strategies
- Participates actively in coalitions, alliances, and memberships that support critical legislative issues
- Supports NDSS’s federal policy and advocacy efforts as needed
- Assists the Policy & Advocacy team in execution of legislative fly-ins, including coordinating logistics and event preparation
- Other duties as assigned