Closing Date: December 15, 2019 - 9:59 p.m.
This position may include morning, afternoon, evening, and weekend hours including Sundays. Successful candidate may be required to adapt to future schedule and location changes depending on library needs.
Perform basic public service and library support tasks at one or more community libraries or library on wheels to contribute to their effective operation.
Functions listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- Provide assistance at the library circulation desk, answers phones, checks library materials in and out, registers customers for library cards, and orders various library materials.
- Assist customers with self-checkout machines and answers questions in the hold areas.
- Return library materials to proper locations and supports circulation duties.
- Provide assistance to library customers with basic reference questions.
- Respond to technical services calls and assists with problems with the fax machines, public copiers, pay-for-print stations, vending machines, and printers.
- Submit and monitor technical reports for library technology service issues.
- Perform other public service and general clerical support tasks as assigned.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Duties are considered non-essential and include the following:
- Prepare correspondences and reports.
- Train new staff as needed.
- Attend meetings, trainings, and workshops as assigned.
- Assist with special projects as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The position may report to the building Circulation Supervisor or to the Supervising PSA. Although direct supervision is not a normal part of this position's work, incumbents may be called on to provide task direction to Page staff and library volunteers in absence of a supervisor.
Core Library Competencies
Employees are expected to demonstrate the following qualities at all times:
- Adaptability: Adjusts nimbly to obstacles or changing conditions to arrive at the desired goal.
- Communication: Expresses self clearly, effectively, and compellingly in written, verbal, and nonverbal messages.
- Customer Service: Builds and maintains responsive, effective relationships with internal and external customers.
- Interpersonal: Accurately perceives others and the impact of one's own behavior to balance relationship and goal needs appropriately and positively in interactions.
- Professionalism: Aligns behavior with the library's mission, values, and strategic focus in serving a diverse stakeholder community.
- Valuing Diversity: Manages relationships with all people inclusively and equitably; conveys respect by valuing and encouraging the unique dimension each employee adds to the organization and each member of the community brings to the whole. Demonstrates an ongoing commitment to expand one's own awareness, knowledge, and skills of others' cultures, beliefs, identities, languages, interpersonal styles, and behaviors.