$500 Signing Bonus and FREE Gym Membership!
- For new Employees
- $250 after 3 months of employment
- Additional $250 to be paid out after 6 months of employment
The St. Louis Jewish Community Center (the J) has been providing excellent experiences in health & wellness, early childhood and adult education, sports and recreation, camping, Jewish and cultural experiences for the entire community for over 140 years. Members and program participants enjoy access to state-of-the-art facilities and programs. Employees enjoy a large range of benefits, including a complimentary membership! The Js commitment to diversity and equity is ongoing, and our culture is warm and inclusive of all, regardless of faith. Employees are safe being who they are at work. We invite you to be a part of our amazing team and community.
Direct Support Professional
The Program Assistant position is responsible for providing personalized services for individuals 18+ who have autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and other intellectual or developmental disabilities, as well as older adults with Alzheimers/Dementia and other cognitive impairments.
The Adult Day Center at the J offers two specialized program tracks, Connections and IN. Both programs are geared to help our participants build upon and maintain their current knowledge, discover new abilities and cultivate personal growth while working to achieve their individualized goals. The Program Assistant position will work primarily within the IN Program, which is focused to provide individualized training that promote soft skills development, speech therapy, physical fitness, volunteerism, and socialization to our younger adults.
- Support individuals with developmental disabilities and cognitive impairments as they participate in group activities which includes swimming, exercise, volunteering, interaction with animals, art, music, gardening, cooking, etc. Note, will be expected to get into the pool or participate in fitness classes to directly assist participants during the activity.
- Assist in researching, developing and implementing activities focused to benefit participants cognitively, socially, recreationally, physically, and will assist with independent skills development, both for large and small groups of participants.
- Complete all daily documentation and data collection to record observations on assigned participants to maintain compliance with licensure and contracts: i.e. Department of Mental Health and Department of Health and Senior Services.
- Facilitate individual accommodations necessary to assist individuals to fully participate in activities
- Facilitate physical location transitions or sensory breaks between activities (on and offsite) as needed
- Appropriately intervene in all crisis situations related to behavior or health as needed.
- Work cooperatively with the Adult Day Center multi-disciplinary team to enhance offered programs.
- Observe participant behavior, assess its appropriateness, and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
- Monitor accuracy of participant name tags daily and weekly maintenance of the Wander Guards.
- Assist participants in mobility, personal care and with serving food during meal times.
- Assist participants with activities of daily living including toileting.
- Care for the physical and emotional well being of every Adult Day Center participant at all times.
- Recognize and respond to opportunities for problem solving.
- Enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures.
- Greet family members as they arrive to drop off/pick up participants.
- Provide quality customer service at all times, and represent the JCC and Adult Day Center in a positive and professional manner.
- Attend staff meetings, training sessions and assist with agency events and programs as requested
- Provide backup coverage to Adult Day Center programs as needed.
- Adhere to Social Work Code of Ethics, HIPAA and confidentiality guidelines at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.