ENTERPRISE DIRECTOR HUMAN RESOURCES
Purpose of the Position: Under the strategic direction of the Executive Council or the appropriate business entity Board of Directors, the Enterprise Director of Human Resources is responsible for setting, enforcing, and evaluating legally compliant human resources policies, procedures, and best practices, and identifying and implementing long-range strategic talent management goals to support the personnel needs of the Tribe and its business entities (the Tribal Enterprise) at various locations. The Director of Human Resources reports directly to the President. The position will take the lead promoting and guiding the Tribal Enterprises culture, engaging and developing its workforce, facilitating organizational and personnel development, managing compensation programs and benefits structure, deploying recognition programs, maintaining regulatory compliance matters relating to labor and employment practices, enforcing and evaluating human resources policies, procedures, and best practices, participating in the development of benefit plans and identify and implement long-range strategic talent management goals.
The ideal candidate for this position is a hands-on, solutions-oriented leader who understands the need to partner as a human resources generalist, is a strategic thinker, thrives in the face of challenge, finds new and innovative ways to drive improvement, and is unafraid to roll up their sleeves to get the job done.
*This position includes routine on-site work in Upper Lake, California; the potential to work remotely on a rotating basis; and travel to other office locations, conferences, etc., as needed.
- Collaborates with executive leadership to define each segment of the Tribal Enterprises long-term goals; identifies ways to support those goals through talent acquisition and management.
- Identifies key performance indicators for the Enterprises human resource and talent management functions; participates in developing metrics for each segment of the Enterprise for approval by the Executive Council or applicable Board of Directors and assists with tracking performance of such metrics.
- Provides an effective and dedicated HR advisory service to employees in relation to absence and health issues, conduct and capability, grievance matters, organizational change, and all other employee-relations matters.
- Researches, develops, and implements competitive compensation, benefits, performance appraisal, and employee incentive programs.
- Anticipates, identifies, and facilitates the resolution of employee relations issues.
- Conducts and manages thorough investigations to gather all facts and make appropriate recommendations; seeks guidance from the Legal Department as appropriate; and maintains detailed documentation to protect the interests of the Tribe and mitigate risk.
- Leads critical conversations with both employees and managers while coaching through difficult decisions and essential follow-up.
- Provides guidance and leadership to the human resource management team; assists with the resolution of human resources, compensation, and benefits questions, concerns, and issues.
- Works closely with the Legal Department to ensures compliance with employment, benefits, insurance, safety, and other laws, regulations, and requirements.
- Suggests new procedures and policies to continually improve efficiency of the human resources department, and if appropriate other departments regarding employee issues.
- Maintains knowledge of laws, regulations, and best practices in employment law, human resources, and talent management.
- Drafts and implements the budget approved by the Habemco Board of Directors for the human resources department.
- Participates in professional development and networking conferences and events.
- Oversees the daily workflow of the department, including staffing, onboarding, offboarding, training, and department projects.
- Assists with the annual review process, introductory period review process, and provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Handles discipline and termination of employees in accordance with policy of the applicable segment of the Tribal Enterprise.
- Provides support in the ongoing development of personnel, including coaching, mediation, and other consultation for management within the organization.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required. Masters degree highly preferred.
- At least ten years of human resource management experience required, with strategic, talent management, and business development experience highly preferred.
Skills & Abilities:
- Exceptional relationship building at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to professionally handle confidential material, sensitive employment matters, and associated issues.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills, ethics, and cultural awareness.
- Strong attention to detail, ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with all levels of employees and managers.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented capacity and willingness to assist team members as needed.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving skills, supervisory, and leadership skills.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of and experience with various human resource information systems.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Ability to handle competing tasks and priorities simultaneously while ensuring accuracy.
- Ability to routinely work on-site in Upper Lake, California, and travel as needed.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.