WHO WE ARE: Founded in 1966, CRLA’s mission is to fight for justice and individual rights alongside the most exploited communities of our society. Through a network of regional offices and cross-cutting programs, CRLA provides legal services to over 42,000 low-income people annually. Our work impacts farm workers, individuals with disabilities, immigrant populations, LGBT communities, women, children and families in rural areas.
Position: Legal Secretary
Experience: 1+ years of experience as a Legal Secretary or equivalent
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Location: CRLA Stockton & Modesto Offices
Term of Employment: Temporary, Long Term (Ending June 30, 2021), Full-Time
Other: FLSA Non-Exempt, Union Position
The Legal Secretary (LS) manages all communications, correspondence, typing legal documents, filing, travel, calendar, and general organizational matters within the local office as they relate to Housing matters.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answer phones, screen callers, and assist callers with housing matters, and coordinate interns assisting with these tasks.
- Perform other office duties as assigned, including assisting with the new applicant and client intake process for housing matters.
- Enter case information into Case Management System (CMS), including but not limited to case notes and other internally required information.
- Assure that legal deadlines are met in the processing of legal documents
- Maintain the court and appointment calendar
- Maintain/archive confidential client files, arranges for confidential document destruction as directed.
- Draft a variety of legal correspondence, forms, petitions, pleadings, motions and discovery and informational materials.
- File documents with the court, stay up to date with local court rules and procedural requirements for litigation.
- Maintain follow-up records relating to housing legal matters in process and ensure that deadlines are met.
- Perform other law office duties as assigned.