Job Title: Draper
Reports to: Costume Shop Manager
Pay Rate: $26-$30 per hour
Reporting Staff: First Hands / Stitchers
1. PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Chicago Shakespeare Theater is seeking an experienced Draper/Cutter for our upcoming production of “Measure for Measure”. Starting date August 29.2022 ending date November 6,2022. CST is a world-class theater company producing work of the highest quality due, in large part, to a strong team philosophy. The Draper/Cutter is a per-show, hourly member of the CST costume shop. The Draper’s job is to oversee the interpretation and implementation of costumes from a two-dimensional drawing into a three-dimensional, wearable product. The ideal candidate excels at interpreting a designer’s renderings, works well under time constraints and enjoys producing high quality work. All work is on-site in a fully equipped costume shop.
2. PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Discuss assignments with Costume Shop Manager to ensure thorough understanding of scope and responsibility
- Review designs with the costume designer to ensure understanding of the goals of the design in terms of shape, style lines, fit, etc.
- Oversee the implementation of assigned pieces with other costume shop personnel, including that includes first hand and stitchers
- Creation of physical garments from designs, including draping, patterning, generating mockups, fitting, adjusting and truing patterns, cutting, and overseeing the overall construction and finishing
- Maintain a high level of quality control
- Manage time and schedule to ensure that the costumes are completed on the established timeline.
3. SECONDARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fitting and overseeing the labeling and alterations to rented and purchased costume pieces
- Maintaining a clean work environment
4. STAFF SUPERVISORY/MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Draper/Cutter is the head of a team of 3 technicians and is responsible for supervising their crew in the production of new costumes and the refurbishment/alteration of existing costumes.
5. FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- This position does not have any financial responsibility and is not authorized to make purchases for CST.
6. INTERACTION WITH PATRONS AND PUBLIC
- This position has no responsibilities that interact with the public. Any interaction with the public is purely by chance.