About St. Mark’s
Founded in 1906, St. Mark’s School of Texas is a non-sectarian, college-preparatory, independent day school for boys in grades one through twelve. The School’s charter states that it is “designed to afford its students well-rounded physical, intellectual, moral, and religious training and instruction.” The School is intended to be a diverse community of teachers and students who share a love of learning and who strive for high achievement in whatever they undertake.
St. Mark’s aims to prepare young men to assume leadership and responsibility in a competitive and changing world. To this end, the School professes and upholds certain values. These values include the discipline of postponing immediate gratification in the interests of earning eventual, hard-won satisfaction; the responsibility of defending one’s own ideas, of respecting the views of others, and of accepting the consequences for one’s own actions; and an appreciation for the lively connection between knowledge and responsibility and the obligation to serve.
The Middle School Administrative Assistant provides administrative support to and facilitates the smooth functioning of the Middle School. The Administrative Assistant organizes, coordinates, and performs administrative duties requiring independent judgment, compassion, and confidentiality. The Middle School Administrative Assistant also serves as Middle School Attendance Coordinator.
Strong organizational and communication skills and a professional demeanor are essential to this position. The Administrative Assistant will be in frequent communication with faculty, students, administrators, parents, and alumni, so that discretion, care, and courtesy are of the utmost importance. A comfort with middle school boys is essential to the work of the position.
This position requires an individual who can assess, prioritize, and synthesize varied requests. It will be important that this person enjoys both the details of the inner workings of the School and appreciates how the details inform the larger picture.
- Create a welcoming and professional environment for students, parents, faculty, and staff
- Answer incoming telephone calls, collect reliable information in returning calls, or refer calls to more appropriate staff members
- Serve as Middle School Attendance Coordinator, maintaining accurate and up-to-date information, including frequent communication with parents and the Nurse’s Office
- Manage the Head of Middle School’s calendar; prepare materials for appointments as needed; field inquiries from and arrange for meetings with faculty, students, parents, and alumni; and arrange travel
- Schedule individual routine meetings with the Head of Middle School’s direct reports, individual faculty and staff meetings as requested, student meetings, parent meetings as requested, and meetings with guests
- Assist in preparing reports and correspondence for the Head of Middle School’s review and signature
- Review Head of Middle School’s mail as appropriate (electronic and postal) and respond to certain types of mail as his representative
- Take great care to maintain and protect the confidentiality of the Head of Middle School’s Office and student files
- Assist by arranging special events on campus such as orientations, Mini School, and Final Assembly, including facilities reservations, food requests, and room set-up
- Attend Middle School meetings as needed; prepare minutes and monitor action items
- Manage the workflow, logistics, and paperwork for several student life initiatives, including Advisory and Character and Leadership programs
- Manage the Middle School Office’s budget and submit expense reports
- Perform routine office work, including filing, restocking, and upkeep of the Middle School Office
- Perform any other duties as assigned and related to the responsibilities of a Middle School Administrative Assistant