The Fund for Public Health in New York City, (FPHNYC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), FPHNYC incubates innovative public health initiatives implemented by DOHMH to advance community health throughout the city. It facilitates partnerships, often new and unconventional, between government and the private sector to develop, test, and launch new initiatives. These collaborations speed the execution of demonstration projects, effect expansion of successful pilot programs, and support rapid implementation to meet the public health needs of individuals, families, and communities across New York City.
The Bureau of Equitable Health Systems (BEHS), within the Center for Health Equity and Community Wellness at the NYC Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) and working closely with the Chief Medical Officer and supporting the CMO’s strategic plan, is seeking a Pharmacy Team Community Quality Specialist. This individual will provide support to quality improvement initiatives within the independent pharmacy setting.
In collaboration with FPHNYC, BeHS is seeking a Pharmacy Team Community Quality Specialist to join the Community Healthcare Support team (CHST). The Pharmacy Team Community Quality Specialist will be expected to work on QI initiatives focused on improving adherence in the pharmacy setting, with special attention to blood pressure control, and addressing diabetes prevention and management through the delivery of evidence-based lifestyle programming. In addition, the Pharmacy Team Community Quality Specialist is responsible for delivering technical assistance to NYC REACH partners, at independent pharmacies, as well as assist in the development of workflows that will lead to improved health outcomes in the patients being serviced by the pharmacies.
The Pharmacy Team Community Quality Specialist will collaborate with QI staff to support pharmacy-facing QI programs, to improve health outcomes and patient self-management efforts. The Pharmacy Team Community Quality Specialist will serve as a primary point of contact for pharmacists and their staff at independent pharmacies and will work with leadership to develop and implement QI initiatives. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting in the development and tracking of QI interventions
- Providing training and coaching to QI team members on a variety of QI interventions
- Managing a caseload of 10-30 pharmacies in the engagement of quality improvement initiatives and the use of data to develop strategies that will lead to progress.
- Conducting on-site or remote visits to provide technical assistance to pharmacists improving patient health outcomes, particularly for hypertension, pre-diabetes, diabetes, smoking, and other cardiovascular-related priority health areas.
- Providing support for workflow redesign and EHR documentation to improve office efficiency for care management
- Providing coaching on preventive-health features of EHRs and how to use them as part of QI activities
- Participating in forums discussing performance feedback and sharing best practices for QI efforts
- Serving as a liaison between pharmacy staff and various BeHS teams to provide feedback on QI efforts
- Delivering presentations and trainings to internal and external audiences
- Assist with special projects and requests from the bureau leadership