Our Urban Alchemy Practitioners are to be a positive influence in the areas or installations they are assigned. They are entrusted to add to the environment, monitor the area, and to maintain a moral and ethical demeanor while maintaining job responsibilities.
Adding to the environment:
This means to be pro social in your interactions with those who may pass through your assigned area. This includes:
- GREETING PEOPLE: Don’t just stand around waiting for time to pass. Engage those coming to the area and the installations by saying, ‘Good morning or Good Day’. A good steward makes the attempt to enliven another’s day. Let them decide if they want to respond. Not everybody will, so don’t take it personal.
- SERVING AS A DOCENT: Answer questions about San Francisco, and especially about the area in which you are assigned. Learn and know the surrounding area and buildings. Be able to narrate the uses of each building and whether it is open to the public. Use google or other search engines to gather relevant information.
- MAINTAINING A POSITIVE APPEARANCE: Look presentable and approachable. A steward maintains his or her appearance as if they are on stage performing for an audience. Don’t glare down at your phone all day ignoring those around you. People need to know they can approach you for information or help.
Watch Over the Installations or areas assigned:
- NEGOTIATE NEGATIVE BEHAVIOR: Use your communication skills to deter people from engaging in behavior that disrupts the environment or call authorities when the situation exceeds your abilities. There are a number of mentally ill and drug addicted men and women in the area who can act out in unpredictable ways. Don’t hesitate to call authorities in your area for help dealing with a situation that is out of your control. Stewards don’t engage in physical altercations, except to defend oneself. Call 911 for a police response or Rec and Park dispatch for a Park Ranger. Always call your supervisor for assistance.
- KEEP YOUR ASSIGNED AREA SAFE FOR CHILDREN: Monitor the area for suspicious behavior. Report such activity to your supervisor immediately.
- KEEP YOUR ASSIGNED AREA CLEAN: Conduct regular inspections of your assigned area for debris and litter. Use the cleaning supplies provided to keep your area clean.
Be Responsible, ethical, and diligent in your job duties:
- MAINTAIN DATA SHEETS: Taking data for the installation you are assigned is essential for city planners to make critical decisions about the uses of that area. We as stewards are entrusted with this responsibility, so take it seriously.
- SIGN IN AND OUT AT THE CORRECT TIME
- TAKE TIMELY BREAKS (15 MINUTES) AND LUNCH (30 MINUTES)
- IF YOU SMOKE, REMOVE YOUR UNIFORM
- DON’T BUY STOLEN MERCHANDISE NO MATTER HOW GREAT THE DEAL