SIGN ON BONUS NOW THROUGH MAY 1ST ALL AQUATICS POSITIONS!
$250 Bonus on first paycheck for new hire lifeguards and swim instructors if hired by May 1st!
END OF SUMMER BONUS FOR PART TIME STAFF!
- SWIM INSTRUCTORS - Work an average of 15 hours per week 6/5-8/18 and receive a $500 end of summer bonus!
- LIFEGUARDS - Work an average of 25 hours per week 6/5-8/18 – and receive a $750 end of summer bonus!
- COMBO LIFEGUARD/SWIM INSTRUCTOR STAFF - Work an average of 30 hours per week 6/5-8/18 and receive a $1250 end of summer bonus!
The Lifeguard maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. They also create a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals and promotes safety in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. The lifeguard builds positive relationships with members and program participants through effective listening and verbal skills and creatively finds ways to connect them to one another and the Y community.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: We are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: We value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: We believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: We support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: Above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
Primary Duties (On the stand):
- Actively scan and maintain constant vigilance over the aquatic area.
- Knows and reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, and procedures, and completes related reports as required.
- Continuously exhibit honesty, caring, respect, responsibility, reliability, flexibility, maturity, and good decision-making skills.
Secondary Duties (Off the stand):
- Attend and actively participate in all required aquatic staff training and meetings.
- Accurately complete and submit all safety and maintenance records concerning the pool area and usage of the pool as outlined in the Lifeguard Manual.
- Inspect and maintain all emergency equipment (Shepherd's Crooks, ring buoys, rescue tubes, etc.) and other pool equipment and inform the aquatics supervisor and/or Properties Director immediately of any necessary equipment repairs.
- Assist in membership retention by interacting and building relationships with members and guests.
- Hold a nationally recognized lifeguard certification preferred but not required, training available for qualified candidates.
- Minimum age 15
- Ability to maintain certification-level physical and mental readiness
- Observe all areas of the aquatic area including the pool deck, water surface, and pool bottom.
- Lifeguards must currently hold or be able to achieve and maintain the following certifications.
- Pass Skills Test
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- Standard First Aid
- Emergency Oxygen Administration ~ O2
- Automated External Defibrillation ~ AED
- American Red Cross and YMCA Lifeguard are accepted for hire.
- Must obtain Be the Brand and Darkness to Light within 90 days
- Free individual membership to all YMCA of WNC locations
- Discounted membership for household members
- Discounted program fees (swim lessons, youth sports, summer camp and more)
- Start a 403(b) smart savings account on day one of employment (optional) and begin eligibility for YMCA retirement plan
- Professional development opportunities through local and Y-USA trainings
The YMCA of WNC does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, faith, gender, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies.