The Sports Coordinator is responsible for the effective operation of several elements of the Sports department. The Sports Coordinator is responsible for delivering exceptional and outstanding programs and service to YMCA members, participants and volunteers in partnership with a larger team. They are vital member of YMCA leadership staff and a highly visible representative of the YMCA mission and core values.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: We are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: We value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: We believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: We support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: Above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Contribute to the overall Y mission of strengthening communities through youth development,
healthy living and social responsibility.
- Assist with the planning, organization, and scheduling of all games, facilities, officials, and scorekeepers for YMCA sports and activities for assigned branch.
- Create, organize and implement a curriculum that teaches the foundational skills of a sport or program activity.
- Audit volunteer coaches and instructors to ensure the YMCA curriculums are being followed
- Manage athletic program activities; including the set up and facilitation of practices and game days.
- Ensuring program standards, equipment needs, safety and field/facility maintenance are consistent with association expectations.
- When needed, officiate or coach youth soccer, basketball, flag football, volleyball or any particular sport the center may provide.
- Recruit and train volunteer coaches and/or program staff.
- Ensure emergency preparedness through the regular execution of emergency drills and department assessment.
- Monitor and maintain necessary equipment through scheduled and preventative maintenance.
- Develop committed relationships. Share knowledge of programs, events and resources with members and participants throughout the facility and within the community when representing the YMCA.
- 1-2 years experience facilitating sports programming preferred.
- Ability to constantly and quickly move to various locations in and around the entire facility
- Physically perform all CPR and first aid skills and/or assist as needed in emergency situations
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Bend or stoop to reach various height levels
- Proficiency in a variety of computer applications including Outlook, DAXKO Systems, Microsoft Word, Teams and Excel.
- Ability to work nights and weekends
- Perform quality work within given deadlines and expectations with direct supervision.
- Free individual membership to all YMCA of WNC locations
- Discounted membership for household members
- Discounted program fees (swim lessons, youth sports, summer camp and more)
- Start a 403(b) smart savings account on day one of employment (optional) and begin eligibility for YMCA retirement plan
- Professional development opportunities through local and Y-USA trainings
The YMCA of WNC does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, faith, gender, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies.