Come grow with us!
Pacific Coast Fruit Company is a local, family-owned produce distributor that has proudly served our Pacific Northwest retail, wholesale and food service customers since 1977. We are now one of the largest independent produce distributors in the Northwest with distribution centers in Portland, Oregon and Seattle (Kent), Washington.
Our employees are a big part of our success, and we truly believe the words of our founder, Emil Nemarnik, who often said, Take good care of your employees, customers, shippers, and farmers and they will make you successful. As an Fleet Service Mechanic, you'll earn a competitive hourly wage and comprehensive benefits, receive ongoing further mechanical and diagnostic training, and open doors to a wide variety of advancement opportunities. Pacific Coast Fruit Company takes pride in developing employees and recruiting from within, and we hope this position is just the beginning of your career with us.
This position will be responsible for learning to perform preventative maintenance and repairs on Pacific Coast Fruit Company vehicles. This could include troubleshooting and repairing diesel, hydraulic, electrical, refrigeration, and mechanical equipment. The pride, enthusiasm, and ownership each Mechanic brings to their role is critical to the success of the company.
What you'll do...
- Perform a variety of skilled duties which may involve inspection, diagnosis, troubleshooting, maintenance, and repair of hydraulic brake systems, suspension, front-end and steering systems, tire changes, and engine components and trailers.
- Service equipment as required to ensure proper operating condition at the job site
- Operate equipment such as booms, forklifts, compressors, portable and stationary generators, hydraulic and electrical tools and equipment, and related tools and equipment.
- Satisfy in a timely manner all required documentation, timesheets, checklists, receiving records and repair order logs.
- Conduct preventative maintenance as required to ensure the timely and accurate completion of preventative maintenance activities.
- Clean work vehicle and work area as necessary to maintain a safe work environment.
- Meet all company, governmental and equipment related safety requirements.
- Maintain supplies inventory and purchase parts.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Transportation management team or authorized personnel.
What we look for...
- 3+ years of experience as an automotive heavy equipment/diesel mechanic
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Vocational Training and/ or Technical Certificate or equivalent desired
- Experience performing industrial lift and/or aerial equipment repairs preferred
- Provide own tools and possess ability to safely and effectively use them
- Strong mechanical aptitude and ability to assume ownership for work
- Team-oriented, with the ability to look at what's best for the company when making decisions
- Must be able to communicate effectively in person and in writing with drivers, supervisors, and individuals at all levels of the company
- Ability to read and interpret specification and manuals and accurately complete service-related documents and paperwork
- Ability to diagnose and repair a wide variety of equipment
- Ability to safely use hand and power tools, equipment, and diagnostic devices
- Must exhibit a high level of safety consciousness and a clear understanding of equipment safety
- Required the ability to lift, push, or pull and move up to 70 pounds and must be capable of climbing, kneeling, twisting and bending in a varied environment
- Must be dependable and report to work on time
- Must be able to perform basic computer operations
What you'll gain...
- The opportunity to contribute, learn a lot, and have fun along the way
- Competitive salary - $26-$35/hour depending on experience and certifications
- Comprehensive benefit package including, medical, dental, vision, 401(k) and profit sharing plan as well as paid time off
- Ongoing mechanical and diagnostic training
- Regular and constructive performance feedback
- Lots of fresh produce you can eat or take home to your family through our generous employee purchase program