Associate Head of School for Academic Programs
At The Windward School, we are committed to helping students with language-based learning disabilities achieve their full potential in preparation for a successful return to a mainstream educational environment. Located in White Plains, NY, and Manhattan, NY, The Windward School educates more than 950 students on three campuses.
THE WINDWARD SCHOOL MISSION STATEMENT
Windward is a coeducational, independent day school dedicated to providing a proven instructional program for children with language-based learning disabilities. The multisensory curriculum is designed for students of average to superior intelligence who can benefit from the unique educational experience provided. Through direct instruction in small class settings, a trained staff assists students to improve their language skills. Academic success, combined with opportunities for social and emotional growth within an intentionally diverse and inclusive setting, enables students to understand their learning differences, build confidence, and develop self-advocacy skills. Windward is committed to helping students achieve their full potential in preparation for a successful return to a mainstream educational environment. To meet these goals, the School provides ongoing training to its faculty based on the most current research and shares its expertise with the parent body, other educators, and the broader community.
The Windward School is nationally recognized for its development of instructional programs and best-in-class teacher professional development. In January 2020, the School launched The Windward Institute, which is dedicated to increasing childhood literacy and disrupting the status quo in education through providing professional development for The Windward School, educators, clinicians, parents/guardians, and non-Windward students; advocating for the rights of students with language-based learning disabilities; building leading-edge education-research partnerships; and expanding the reach and impact of the proven methodology of The Windward School.
This is an exciting time for Windward as Head of School Jamie Williamson leads Windward into the next chapter of its nearly 100-year history. The Associate Head of School for Academic Programs is an excellent opportunity for a transformational leader to partner with a talented Head of School, a dedicated board of trustees, and a hard-working leadership team.
The Windward School seeks a talented Associate Head of School for Academic Programs to work closely with the Head of School, board of trustees, and executive leadership team to help lead Windward through a period of growth and development.
The Associate Head of School for Academic Programs will be responsible for advancing Windward’s life-changing mission by enhancing our current academic programs, diversifying our curriculum, and overseeing faculty recruitment.
The Associate Head of School for Academic Programs is a leadership position, reaching across all levels of the school, grades 1-9, across all curricula disciplines, and across all programmatic offerings. This position works in partnership with the various constituent groups within the school to provide leadership, to measure, to implement, and to oversee all aspects of teaching and learning. This position not only provides academic leadership and oversight to maintain the academic integrity of the school, but also mentors teachers, supports students’ academic well-being and success, and serves as a resource for parents.
This newly created position will be a part of the senior leadership team and oversee the academic functions of the School. The ideal candidate will be a team player who has a warm collaborative nature, positive energy, sense of humor, and is a consensus builder. They have excellent skills in communication and technology, including outstanding writing and public speaking skills. They possess a deep commitment to the regular evaluation of curriculum, academic programming, and faculty growth and accountability with an eye towards vertical, horizontal, and cross-discipline alignment, relevant and intentional student experiences, and cutting-edge teaching and learning.
Scope of the Role
Reporting to the Head of School, the Associate Head of School for Academic Programs will provide strategic and institutional support for the faculty and instructional support staff. This role will be the point person for all facets of academics that have a direct impact on student learning. Examples include the monitoring of classroom instruction and management of all internal and external student assessment data. This position has been developed to serve as an instruction and curriculum expert and be fully apprised of Windward’s educational philosophy and current educational trends and best practices, including educational research, brain research, and successful teaching practices.
The Associate Head of School for Academic Programs will set the strategic direction for all academic based initiatives through an equity lens at Windward and serve as a strategic thought partner for the Head of School.
RESPONSIBILITIES TO INCLUDE:
- Provides clear vision, supervisory leadership and management, and strategic direction for all aspects of Windward’s academia
- In close collaboration with the Head of School, provides instructional leadership through curriculum oversight, assuring responsiveness to students’ needs and interests, vertical integration, excellence in all disciplines, congruence with mission and strategic vision goals, and ongoing innovation.
- Serves as the academic advisor to the Head of School as it pertains to curriculum, academic programming, and personnel
- Supports best practices in curriculum and pedagogy, based on current research on teaching and learning
- Ensures that our teachers are provided appropriate support and coaching in the areas of curriculum delivery, instructional practices, and assessment.
- Creates and delivers formal reports to the Board of Trustees on the academic program as requested.
- Determines staffing needs based on enrollment and the needs of the School and recommends hiring for instructional and instructional support staff, in conjunction with campus heads.
- In collaboration with the Director of Educational Technology, oversees all educational technology efforts including piloting new software, understanding new trends and developing a formalized plan for online instruction if needed
- Maintains direct communication with subject matter coordinators in order to benchmark work and assessment measures
- Works collaboratively with the Head of School, Windward Institute and Teacher Training Program personnel to strategically design professional development programs including faculty orientations, weekly PD sessions and faculty evaluations
- Leads, develops, and manages meetings, task forces, and other programming as they pertain to the job
- Meets regularly with Head of School to solve/discuss student retention, parent concerns/issues, personnel, assessments, students etc.
- Participates in school activities (including, but not limited, to Homecoming, Graduation, Theater Performances, Annual Benefit, DEIB events, Parent Education offerings etc.)
- Acts as an educational catalyst for best institutional and educational practices
- Reviews and modifies academic policies and procedures for students and faculty when appropriate. This includes offering insights and advice for policies and procedures related to dress code, student discipline, and all other policies that foster a positive school culture of learning, achievement and equity
- Serves as a resource for parents, answering curricular questions, monitoring and discerning parental concern as they relate to the academic program.
- Communicates with parents regularly, informing parents and families of the School’s practices, policies, schedules, learning activities and student opportunities
- Reviews and analyzes current spending on academic programs and propose an expanded budget to meet the academic needs of our students.
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School