Who We Are:
Neighborhood Health Center is a non-profit organization local to Portland, OR serving underserved patients in the areas of primary care, internal medicine, dental services and more. Our patient-centered approach to care honors the unique needs and circumstances of each individual patient. NHC sees people, not problems, and recognizes that the time spent as a patient in a doctors office is only one factor in a persons overall health. Our leading edge, integrated clinical teams work in partnership with patients, their families, and the communities we serve to provide whole-person care, prevention, and ongoing support.
NHC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate differences in the workplace and do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (sex), national origin, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is responsible for providing consultative mental health care for our vulnerable and medically complex patients in our primary care setting. This includes assessing, diagnosing, prescribing, treating, and educating patients. Works closely with primary care providers and behavioral health clinicians in a team approach to patient care.
Essential Job Duties
- Conducts physical examinations and/or mental health assessments to address mental healthcare needs of patients.
- Performs, orders and interprets diagnostic procedures and lab tests as clinically indicated.
- Develops and implements a patient treatment plan for mental health care in the primary care setting. This includes prescribing/dispensing medications and/or injections in compliance with guidelines and state laws.
- Provides consultative mental health services (average of 3-6 patient visits or greater/less visits as clinically indicated) to established primary care patients at NHC, before bridging them back to PCPs or to a higher level of mental health care.
- Willing to travel to all clinic sites at NHC to provide mental health consultative services.
- Partners with CMO and other key stakeholders on the NHC administrative team to develop the optimal model of mental health care offerings in our primary care setting.
- Records findings and develops a plan of action based on the patients health history and condition, and when necessary, consults with other providers to prepare a comprehensive care plan.
- Prepares documentation for medical records including timely updates of medical charts by posting examination and test results, diagnosis, and medications.
- Collaborates with internal and external multidisciplinary teams to provide innovative and evidence-based care.
- Reviews patient chart notes, case summaries, and other relevant documentation and correspondence.
- Participates in team huddles to review the schedule at the start of the clinic day.
- Participates in process and quality improvement workflows.
- Participates in peer reviews and chart reviews.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.