Gotham Greens is seeking a passionate, driven, and hardworking Head Grower whose primary role is to manage all aspects of crop production to achieve best-in-class yields and quality. This role reports to the Director of Growing.
Gotham Greens is creating new ways to farm, produce local food, revitalize communities and innovate for a sustainable future. We are reimagining how and where fresh food is grown and are looking for a Head Grower to join us in doing what we do best - grow fresh produce in sustainable, high-tech greenhouses. The Head Grower is a senior leadership position who oversees and mentors the Assistant Grower, IPM Specialist, and Young Plant Specialist. This role works closely with the Plant Manager at their specific location to run the entire facility.
What You'll Do
- Yield & Quality
- Oversee yield & quality for all crops to achieve company targets
- Use data driven approach to manage all areas of crop production
- Climate Management & Irrigation Schedules
- Oversee climate strategy for all plants and compartments
- Determine optimal settings for all greenhouse equipment and irrigation
- Evaluate climate strategy impact on energy use and yield
- Greenhouse Management
- Oversee and determine all cultural practices for young plant production
- Oversee IPM Program – compliance, record keeping, and IPM strategy
- Monitor functioning of greenhouse, production, and irrigation equipment regularly with Maintenance Supervisor
- Oversee plant nutrition program
- Review crop schedules and adjust as needed for sales, operations, or plant needs
- Provide training to the operations team as needed on crop specific tasks
- Facilitate a culture of continuous improvement and teamwork
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Plant Science, Horticulture or Related Field
- 5-10 years’ experience in a management role in commercial greenhouse production
- Understanding of all aspects of crop production and growing in CEA
- Experience with climate control software platforms
- Extremely well organized
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Strong computer skills
The ideal candidate:
- Master’s Degree in Plant Science, Horticulture or Related Field
- Commercial production experience in hydroponics
- Commercial production experience in leafy greens and herbs
- Superior problem-solving and analytical skills
- Experience with business intelligence systems
- Passionate commitment to the company vision
Who We Are
Gotham Greens is on a mission to transform how and where fresh produce is grown. We are a pioneer in urban indoor agriculture and a leading fresh produce and food company. Through our national network of local high-tech farms, Gotham Greens delivers fresh, long-lasting, and delicious leafy greens, herbs, salad dressings, and pesto dips all year round to retail, restaurant, and foodservice customers. Founded in 2009, the company opened its first greenhouse in Brooklyn, N.Y., shortly thereafter. Today, Gotham Greens operates 500,000 square feet of high-tech greenhouses across five U.S. states.
Our team of nearly 400 is hardworking, supportive, and passionate about sustainable urban agriculture. We work to create an environment that is caring, fun, and collaborative. Gotham Greens is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Gotham Greens offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package. We are proud to be an affirmative action equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws regarding recruitment and hiring. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.