The VoIP Network Engineer will coordinate strategies for defining, deploying, installing, configuring, and managing and maintaining IP telephony voice communication architecture and its associated network connections and component hardware within companies. This includes assisting with all engineering projects for VoIP initiatives, and configuring and optimizing all telephone systems and services, both internally and those integrated with Internet-based services. Also, you will maintain SLAs for all organizational IP telephony applications. These will include enterprise solution architecture. You may also be required to troubleshoot LAN and WAN hardware systems and respond to customer inquiries.
To ensure success as a VoIP Network Engineer, you should have advanced knowledge of VoIP networking systems, excellent troubleshooting skills, and knowledge of internet security. A top-class VoIP Network Engineer will be able to design and deploy the perfect networking system to meet the current and future networking needs of our company.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as the SME (subject matter expert) on all Unified Communications needs and meet with IT managers to determine the companys networking needs
- Analyzing existing VoIP networks and computer systems and developing architecture plans for voice and data services this includes designing and implementing advanced phone systems
- Installing network hardware modules including IP and PBX communication servers and troubleshooting VoIP network issues
- Analyzing and upgrading network security systems and protocols and optimizing network installations for future expansion
- Training staff on network and system protocols and procedures
- Support VoIP infrastructure and its associated software, including IP-PBXs, Edgemarc, call management systems, voice mail, and interactive voice response and adding network users and managing company permissions
- Where necessary, assist in plan for management or phasing out of legacy telephony systems and other switch-based technologies and collaborate with systems engineers/architects for upgrades to operating systems, hardware, etc.
- Select, deploy, and utilize appropriate tools for reporting and routing of IP telephony traffic on the network
- Remain current on new transport protocols, products, and standards in support of VoIP systems development and equipment procurement and obtain and maintain relevant technical certifications. This may require off hours time for study and preparation.
- Integrate IP telephony systems with enterprise LANs, WANs, wireless LANs, and other Internet-based services and protocols
- Collaborate with help desk to resolve trouble tickets and mitigate end-user issues with VoIP hardware and/or applications
- Assist with the installation planning and maintenance of network cabling, including MDF and IDF closets
- Perform telephony audits as necessary
- Monitor and identify capacity and performance issues for VoIP traffic to ensure continued, uninterrupted operation of telephony systems and collaborate with network engineers or administrators to ensure that VoIP traffic does not interfere with or hinder network data traffic
- Conduct testing and disaster recovery plans to detect faults, minimize malfunctions, and backup systems