This position oversees all aspects of book design (cover and interiors) through to the final print files. The art director collaborates with editors and authors/licensors to achieve an appropriate and compelling look for each book. As an art director, you’ll be responsible for the execution and on-time delivery of high-quality creative materials for books and take on additional publishing projects, such as calendar design.
- Create compelling, high-quality designs for book covers and interiors
- Overseeing all aspects of design and production, including the review of color separations and proofs
- Meet all schedules and budgets
- Supervise freelance design, photography, and illustration.
- Negotiate fees and contracts with freelance designers, illustrators, photographers, creative service representatives and stock houses.
- Assist with sales and marketing departments with promotional material as needed.
- Keep up with current creative trends in the publishing industry.
- Prepares printer-ready files including art alterations and PDF creation.