Director of Individual Giving
STANDING TOGETHER TO DEFEND POTENTIAL: In a world of causes, we make a difference by creating professionally supported, one-to-one Matches for kids and teens who want to realize their full potential. Over 1,200 Matches (Bigs & Littles) get together every week in Kansas City. Research proves that children enrolled in BBBSKC programs are more likely to improve in school and in their relationships with family and friends and are less likely to skip school or use illegal drugs or alcohol.
BBBSKC has been recognized as a leader in the non-profit industry and in the national BBBS network; winning the National Large Agency of the Year and Gold Standard Award in 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2017. Other awards include: NAIA Company of Character, Ingram’s Magazine & KC Magazine’s Best Non-Profit, and the Non-Profit Times Best Non-Profit to Work for in America. Our mission and reputation attract a very talented pool of employees and our culture helps us retain that talent.
After 15 years of exceptional year-over-year fundraising growth, BBBSKC is excited to add an individual giving fundraising department. This is the first of two positions that will be added to the fundraising department, with a capital campaign focus coming in the next year.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer (CDO), the Director of Individual Giving (DIG) will be the primary lead in overseeing the development and implementation of donor strategies for individual giving revenue. This fundraising professional will be responsible for implementing creative and innovative tactics to financially engage individuals in the work of BBBSKC within the Kansas City community. The DIG will be responsible for planning and executing the qualification, cultivation, stewardship and personal solicitation of individual donors and prospects, including major and planned gifts, in collaboration with the fundraising team and CEO.
The successful candidate is someone who: believes deeply in the BBBS mission, is a strong communicator and relationship builder, and is exceptionally well-organized and detail oriented. The DIG will work closely with our Systems and Innovation Director and other members of the fundraising team to collaborate and form a successful individual giving plan and tracking systems
- Work with the CEO, CDO and a direct report to develop a strategy for individual giving fundraising, totaling $1 million (40% growth) in the first year.
- Responsible for identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding a portfolio of 100+ donors (combination of qualified prospects and new prospects) giving up to $25,000.
- Manage and support the recently-created position of Donor Engagement Manager (DEG).
- Coach the DEG on moves-management to ensure continuous movement of donors to expand donor portfolios focusing on donor acquisition, retention, renewals, and upgrades.
- In partnership with the BBBSKC marketing team, create compelling fundraising communications about the BBBSKC vision, priorities, and goals to deepen individual supporters’ understanding of and commitment to BBBSKC.
- Develop and execute donor-by-donor engagement plans, built on a clear understanding of donor intent, motivation, and barriers.
- Leverage existing fundraising events to engage and connect with new and existing donors.
- Report weekly KPIs to the BBBSKC leadership team.
- Ensure data hygiene and management is up to date and of optimal quality in Salesforce.
- Be a team player, working with the fundraising team.
Our ideal candidate will be a team player, who demonstrates a willingness to take on new tasks with a general attitude that no task is too small or impossible and can represent the agency in a professional, enthusiastic and ethical manner. The position requires the ability to work autonomously at times while also being able to work well in a team. The ideal candidate would be reliable, takes initiative and is flexible with a willingness to work as needed to accomplish job requirements. Ideal candidates will have strong communication skills and be able to speak professionally and respectfully with high level donors and supporters.
Candidates must also possess the ability to set and accomplish goals. Must be highly organized with the ability to multitask, implement systems and follow-up processes, able prioritize tasks, use independent judgment, and produce a quality work product within tight time constraints. Must be open to working some nights and weekends throughout the year.
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 5+ years in fundraising with 3+ years in individual major giving ($10k and above).
- Experience in project management, including managing people vertically and laterally, to meet outcomes and deadlines.
- Experience with a CRM required, Salesforce preferred.
- Experience in the youth development sector, or nonprofit field, not required but a plus.
- Track record of achieving ambitions goals.
- CFRE preferred but not required.
- Ability to work some evenings, weekends, and early mornings.
- Exceptional relationship management skills, and a strong belief in a people-focused approach to donor management.
- Strong writer and effective communicator, with an ability to tailor an approach to different constituency groups.
- Strong project management skills and an ability to handle multiple projects with competing priorities to achieve ambitious goals.
- Outstanding judgment, discretion, ethical standards and a commitment to responsible stewardship.
- Enthusiasm for working with diverse communities and stakeholders.
BBBSKC is the fastest growing Big Brothers Big Sisters agency in the nation, nearly doubling the size of our staff and number of children served within the past 10 years. We are proud to offer competitive pay, a generous benefits package, ample vacation days, and a fun office environment. Management believes in an inclusive environment where staff members can learn and grow. We offer an employee wellness program and professional development opportunities whenever applicable. We also believe in the work hard, play hard motto as we plan quarterly staff outings where we step away from our day-to-day operations and focus on connecting as a team. This position is based in our beautiful, newly renovated Crossroads office (which happens to include a rooftop party deck) and auxiliary office next door. As a member of the BBBSKC team there will be an expectation to participate in some evening and weekend events throughout the year.
If you qualify for this position and are passionate about our mission and our staff culture, we look forward to meeting you.
Please note, applications that are not filled out in full will not be considered.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
BBBSKC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
BBBSKC is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.