We are proud to offer these additional benefits to new bus operators:
- $18.74 per hour starting wage
- $1,000.00 hiring bonus ($500.00 upon successful completion of training and $500.00 after the probationary period)
- Full-Time, year-round work
- Opportunity to make a difference in the lives of people and the community you serve
The primary responsibility of the Bus Operator is to operate a transit vehicle while maintaining a high degree of safety and ensuring that all local, state and federal regulations are met or exceeded. The Bus Operator must follow policies and procedures to ensure safety and a high degree of customer service and quality for passengers, pedestrians and other drivers on the road.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Adheres to safety rules, regulations, policies, and procedures to ensure the wellbeing of customers, employees, and community members.
- Assists passengers in a friendly, courteous, and helpful manner.
- Assists passengers in boarding, riding and alighting in a safe manner, especially for passengers who need or request assistance as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Complies with all local, state and federal laws and any company safety rules, regulations, or procedures, including carrying United States Department of Transportation (DOT) card and Driver’s License while working.
- Understands and follows route maps, time schedules, and instructions for pullouts, line service, pull-ins, and off route trips.
- Operates the transit vehicles in many and various conditions including inclement weather, noisy conditions, fumes and various other distractions.
- Performs driver vehicle inspections for pre-trip/post-trip as well as safety checks as needed while in service.
- Provides schedule, route, fare and transit information to passengers seeking assistance.
- Uses onboard technology including but not limited to voice radio, mobile data computers, fare boxes and other vehicle technology.
- Communicates to Transportation Supervisors and Dispatch any hazardous or dangerous conditions along bus route and at passenger loading zones, including such hazards as unusual traffic, road conditions, obstructions, construction, and potential criminal activity.
- Works in a cooperative manner with co-workers and supervisors.
- Reports hazardous or dangerous conditions along bus route and at passenger loading zones, including such hazards as unusual traffic, road conditions, obstructions, construction, and potential criminal activity.
- Writes reports and completes forms, including, but not limited to accident, incident and motor coach discrepancy reports, run sheets, and passenger counts.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE JOB
- Maintains effective communication with all staff and customers.
- Must be able to work in a cooperative manner with co-workers and supervisors.
- Seeks to identify areas for improvement and suggests constructive changes.
- Understands and stays informed of changing policies and procedures by reading and acknowledging memos and communications, including learning and implementing new procedures, regulations and training requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Operations or her/his designee.
QUALIFICATIONS AND KEY SKILLS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance.
- Ability to complete an assigned task in a safe manner and in a constant state of alertness.
- Must understand and be able to read safety rules/regulations and chemical labels as well as follow safe handling procedures.
- Must demonstrate oral and written communication, customer service, and decision-making skills.
- Must not be easily distracted or become easily frustrated with mechanical issues, passenger behaviors, traffic, or dispatch requests.
- Able to work on a team and exhibits credibility, flexibility, and adaptability for challenges that may arise.