Under the supervision of the Camp Director, the Kitchen Manager directs the overall food-service operation of the camp including purchasing, preparation, nutrition, service, sanitation, security, personnel management, customer service, and record keeping. As a key member of the Management Team, this position ensures that timely selection of food and meals are available to all campers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Manage the daily operations of the camp food and dining service including coordinating activities between the kitchen and program areas.
- Oversee the planning of nutritionally balanced camp meals, snacks, and pack-out food
- Prepare and cook food as the menu indicates utilizing frying, boiling, broiling, steaming, roasting of meat, poultry, seafood, fish, vegetables, salads, soups, and gravies
- Prepare foods including washing and peeling
- Bake breads, pastries, muffins, etc
- Ensure safe and efficient preparation and serving of camp meals
Oversee the inventory and ordering of food, equipment, and supplies and arrange for the routine maintenance, sanitation, and upkeep of the camp kitchen, its equipment, and facilities.
- Assist in the opening and closing of the camp kitchen
- Maintain inventory of food and household supplies
- Work with the directors to order food and kitchen supplies consistent with menus and enrollment counts
- Maintain high standards of cleanliness, sanitation, and safety
- Clean and maintain all food-service areas, including kitchen, kitchen restroom, storage, and kitchen recycling and trash areas
- Inspect equipment and ensure equipment is repaired as necessary
- Promote practices that seek to reduce waste, reuse items, and recycle as much as possible
Manage administrative and human-resource functions with regard to kitchen and dining room employees.
- Directly managing kitchen shift supervisors
- Plan, coordinate, and schedule the work of food service staff
- Monitor employee performance and training
- With the assistance of the Camp Director, conducts periodic evaluations and supervisory conferences
Other Job Duties:
- Assist in the planning and implementation of staff training and participate in in-service training sessions
- Provide resources and guidance to unit leaders in implementing balanced and creative menus for unit cookouts and pack outs, as well as best food preparation practices
- With the support team, set up and maintain all kitchen and dining hall procedures
Slicer, Hobart Mixer, Grill, Propane Stove, Dishwasher, Washing Machine, Food Processor, Coffee Pots