- Develops and executes the financial strategy of LSSNCA; prepares action plans to ensure that annual financial objectives are attained. Ensures full transparency over the financial performance of LSSNCA.
- Develops and manages financial policies and procedures for LSSNCA, its subcontractors, and vendors to ensure contractual and grant compliance, and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), IRS requirements, and Council on Accreditation standards.
- Leads annual LSSNCA budgeting process in coordination with the CEO, Vice President of Operations, and Department Directors for review and approval by the Board of Directors. Develops system for ongoing evaluation and monitoring of the budget.
- Supports and advises the CEO and Board of Directors in financial decision-making
- Prepares monthly financial reports; analyzes actual revenue and expenses compared to budget and recommends cost cutting measures, course corrections, or investments as needed.
- Oversees preparation of all financial reports for funders, the Finance Committee, the LSSNCA Board, and other necessary stakeholders.
- Responsible for the risk management process, in collaboration with the Vice President of Operations. Effectively and clearly communicates potential risks, and makes recommendations for mitigating such risks, to the CEO in a timely manner.
- Develops the LSSNCA accounting software to maximize functionality for cost modeling and projections, streamline processes, and develop dashboards for day to day decision making.
- Provides guidance over all accounting functions, to include payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, bank reconciliation, insurance, retirement plans, investments etc.
- Oversees quality assurance reviews of subcontract reimbursements.
- Makes recommendations for maximizing funding streams and diversifying funding sources to advance strategic goals.
- Maintains banking relationship, including a line of credit if necessary, as well as all fraud protection services.
- Support outside auditors to complete annual audit and to ensure timely filing of federal, state, county and city tax forms and applications.
- Oversee the day to day operations and workflow of finance team; reviewing and revising task assignments as necessary to maximize efficient operations, as well as, maintaining and enhancing systems.
- Leverage strengths of finance team members, help clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to reach individual and organizational goals.
- Provide leadership in internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Attends cross-training for other agency related activities such as safety, certified investigations, and compliance reviews.
- Participates in periodic inter-office projects, such as strategic planning, staff development, conferences, annual reports, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 10+ years of progressive leadership experience in finance or accounting; preferably in a human services environment. 2+ years supervising others
- Experience in a non-profit managerial capacity, including knowledge of foundation and government grants.
- Demonstrated ability to manage professional staff; analyze complex fiscal and administrative problems and recommend solutions; perform liaison activities and deal effectively with internal and external stakeholders; communicate effectively orally and in writing, including complex technical concepts.`
- Proficient with accounting software and web-based applications. Blackbaud experience is desirable but not necessary.
- Expert or advanced level in Excel.
- Interpersonal, persuasion, and negotiation skills to deal with internal and external business relationships.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or Public Administration, or commensurate experience. Certified Public Accountant with active license required.
Just Some of the Amazing Benefits Lutheran Social Services Offers:
Fun, Friendly Work Environment
Flexible Work Schedule with Teleworking Available
Personal Time Off
Paid Life Insurance
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen.
Lutheran Social Services of the National Capital Area is an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor