Are you looking to join a fantastic team? The Hayward Area Recreation and Park District is seeking an aquatics supervisor who has a passion for aquatics and is looking to make a difference in the community.
In this role, you will oversee the Hayward Plunge as well as three additional seasonal aquatics facilities and gymnastics classes for the District. Responsibilities include overseeing the day-to-day operations including janitorial, maintenance and rentals of the aquatics facilities. You’ll be tasked with recruiting, training, scheduling and supervising staff.
As aquatics supervisor, you will manage a budget and oversee accompanying programs such as swim lessons, rec swim, lap swim, swim team, swim/tennis camp and any aquatics special events such as our Floating Pumpkin Patch.
Our ideal candidate will have experience supervising a large number of hourly/seasonal staff, an entrepreneurial spirit in program planning, technical expertise in aquatics maintenance and great customer service skills.
Under general supervision, manage, organize, direct, and promote a wide variety of recreation programs and activities at specific locations or within a major division of the overall District recreation programs; supervises the work of hourly recreation leaders and other full time personnel and provides high quality customer service.
Recreation Supervisors are assigned the responsibility for a specific recreational activity and/or a major division of the Districts recreation programs. Areas of responsibility may be designing and overseeing multiple recreation programs areas or units and/or designing and overseeing recreational activities to serve specific audiences. Recreation Supervisors act with a considerable degree of discretion and they report to the Recreation Superintendent. This class is distinguished from the Recreation Superintendent in that the latter is responsible for the entire Recreation Department.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
NOTE: The following lists of duties are those usually performed by most employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the classification.)
- Researches trends, demographics and assesses community needs to plan strategically for the future.
- Plans, organizes, and participates in the development of recreational programs and activities for such programs as: adult sports, aquatics, youth programs, art programs, senior/older adult programs, performing arts/theater, instructional sports, nature and special needs programs, and supervises program staff.
- Recruits, hires, trains, supervises and evaluates hourly and full time recreation program employees and volunteers; maintains attendance records and approves timesheets. Investigates and resolves personnel complaints; initiates disciplinary action and responds to grievances as appropriate. Ensures staff is trained in proper safe work practices.
- Plans, develops and oversees the implementation of various recreation activities.
- Evaluates program effectiveness and makes appropriate adjustments to meet program goals.
- Develops and implements marketing plan for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Responds to the public in a timely manner.
- Maintains accurate and complete records for all areas of responsibility. Prepares final reports and budget summaries. Prepares weekly District program updates.
- Works collaboratively with school, city and other agency representatives to facilitate and develop programs, clarify procedures, identify needs and promote existing programs. Serves as the District representative and/or liaison to City and Community Task forces in determining the recreation needs, interest and desires of the community. Represents the District at professional and community meetings.
- Inspects various facilities to be sure they are safe and ready for use; sees that adequate personnel are assigned. Oversees completion of monthly facility reports. May oversee maintenance functions at certain facilities. Coordinates capital improvement projects with other departments.
- Prepares and oversees budget for assigned program areas. Assesses and compares program fees and charges through market analysis and recommends changes. Coordinates the development of grants, sponsorships, donations and other fund raising to fund services and programs.
- Oversees purchasing; tracks, reconciles and approves monthly expenditures; prepares required financial reports.
- Supervises the collection and reconciliation of monies.