Under direction of the Sport Programs Senior Director, develop and implement professional, effective, and fun skating programs with an emphasis on programs growth and retention.
- Create, implement, and coordinate Learn-to-Skate and Figure Skating programs and special events.
- Work with Sport Director to coordinate and schedule monthly freestyle sessions
- Plan and develop all special events including ice shows, competitions and other public rink-wide special skating programs and events. Implements all logistical tasks necessary for special events including working with and assigning volunteers, working with other staff, designing program themes, music, choreographing, set design and other technical requirements needed.
- Work directly with the marketing department to ensure marketing materials, website, and social media sites are updated with accurate information.
- Foster and develop relationship with the Oval Figure Skating Club partners and organizations to grow and market current and future figure skating club programs.
- Attend the Intermountain Interclub Association meetings to stay up to date on important figure skating information, competitions, test sessions happening in Utah.
- Assist sales team in negotiating contracts with outside vendors for professional ice shows for corporate events.
- Act as the chairman for the Oval Spring Challenge Competition
- Assist the figure skating club with any US Figure Skating test sessions that need to be held. A basic understanding of the US Figure Skating website and entryeeze.com is needed.
- Hire, train, schedule, supervise, and evaluate part-time staff.
- Conduct regular staff meetings and yearly on ice trainings.
- Utilize Paycom scheduling software to schedule employees.
- Develop and mentor staff to ensure quality instruction and leadership.
Facility and Risk Management
- Maintain staff certification records to ensure patron safety including CPR, First Aid, AED Training, USFS Instructor, LTS USA and various required certifications.
- Ensure that all staff is safe sport compliant.
- Review and maintain online and in-person trainings and ratings exams through US Figure Skating and Professional Skaters Association.
Fiscal Management and Assessment
- Responsible for preparation and administration of the program area budget and related funds, and the development of performance evaluations that support the 2030 sports program financial goals.
- Track and order supplies, costumes, equipment etc.
- Monitor the hourly employee budget.
- Administer surveys and conduct focus groups to gauge participant satisfactions level, gain constructive feedback and foster ideas for new programs and special events.
Customer Service and Engagement
- Deliver prompt and professional solutions to both external and internal customers through face-to-face, phone, and email interactions.
- Provide quality service through the development of relationships with facility users, program participants, community members, and numerous partner organizations.
- Assign and schedule work. Write and deliver performance appraisals. Select and approve promotions and transfers. Make salary recommendations. Approve terminations.
- Organize and delegate assignments to team members.
- Payroll processing.
- Hiring, training, motivating and coaching employees.
- Evaluate employee performance and goal setting.
- Hold employees accountable for assigned task and goals.
- Provide timely and constructive feedback and training opportunities.
- Provide training opportunities with a focus on employee development.
- Resolve conflicts and complaints.
- Analyzing information and processes and develop more effective or efficient processes.
- Establishing and achieving business and financial objectives.
- Ensure compliance with safety procedures.
Major Tasks/Responsibilities: World Cup/Speed Skating Events
- Participate in organizing committee meetings
- Take responsibility for areas assigned
- Schedule employees/volunteers for events
- Must be available for events outside regular schedule
- Graduation from an accredited four year college university with a degree in sports recreation or other closely related field or a combination of education and/or relevant experience totaling four years.
- Computer proficient (scheduling software preferred)
- Proven organizational skills
- Detail oriented
- Experience successfully managing internal and external relationships
- Self-starter attitude. Ability to work with little supervision once general direction has been given
- Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently
- Must be able to consistently meet deadlines and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness
- Ice arena knowledge preferable
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities
- Ability to function as a team player
- Strong planning and problem-solving skills
- Must occasionally lift or move up to 20 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Hearing to converse with others in a normal conversation
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit or stand, walk, use repetitive wrist movements, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or twist
- Flexible work schedule must be able to work evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
Required In-House Training
- UAF Orientation
- Sexual Harassment
- Drug & Alcohol
- Hazardous Communications Program
- First Aid/CPR/Safety training
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter the scope of work within the framework of the job description at any time without prior notice.