SIGN ON BONUS NOW THROUGH JUNE 15th ALL AQUATICS POSITIONS!
$250 Bonus on first paycheck for new hire lifeguards and swim instructors if hired by June 15th!
The Aquatics Lead maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals and promotes safety in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Builds positive relationships with members and program participants through effective listening and verbal skills and creatively finds ways to connect them to one another and the Y community.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: We are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: We value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: We believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: We support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: Above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Assist Aquatics Manager with the orientation and on-site training of new lifeguard staff to facility specific policies and procedures, including uniform requirements/distribution of uniform.
- Assist in first shift shadowing for new lifeguard staff member as required by Aquatics Manager.
- Train new lifeguard staff on how to build relationships with members and how the YMCA culture is relevant in the Aquatic Department.
- Actively scan and maintain constant vigilance over aquatic area during assigned lifeguard duty.
- Knows and reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, and completes related reports as required.
- Accurately complete and submit all safety and maintenance records concerning the pool area and usage of the pool as outlined in the Lifeguard Manual.
- Inspect and maintain all emergency equipment (Shepherd's Crooks, ring buoys, rescue tubes, etc.) and other pool equipment and inform the aquatics supervisor and/or Properties Director immediately of any necessary equipment repairs.
- Assist in membership retention by interacting and building relationships with members and guests.
- Initiate communications with the Aquatics Supervisor as necessary concerning program problems, personnel conflicts, and member concerns.
- Has held a nationally recognized Lifeguard certification for a minimum of 24 months. American Red Cross certification preferred.
- Minimum age 17
- Lift 50+ lbs. from the floor and 200+ lbs. in rescue situations.
- Sit for extended periods of time, including in an elevated chair.
- Ascend and descend ladders.
- Communicate verbally with good voice projection and clarity.
- Hear noises and distress signals in an aquatic environment. (Significant background noise may exist in the aquatic environment.)
- Observe all areas of the aquatic area including pool deck, water surface and pool bottom.
- Lifeguards must currently hold or be able to achieve and maintain the following certifications.
- Pass Skills Test
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- Standard First Aid
- Emergency Oxygen Administration ~ O2
- Automated External Defibrillation ~ AED
- Must obtain Be the Brand and Darkness to Light within 90 days
- Free individual membership to all YMCA of WNC locations
- Discounted membership for household members
- Discounted program fees (swim lessons, youth sports, summer camp and more)
- Start a 403(b) smart savings account on day one of employment (optional) and begin eligibility for YMCA retirement plan
- Professional development opportunities through local and Y-USA trainings
The YMCA of WNC does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, faith, gender, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies.