The Metro Atlanta Chamber (MAC), one of the oldest and most forward-thinking chambers of commerce in the US, serves as a catalyst for a more prosperous and vibrant region. To advance economic growth and improve metro Atlanta's quality of place, MAC leads in helping companies start, grow and locate in the 29-county metro Atlanta region. The Chamber also focuses on strengthening connections to drive Atlanta's innovation and entrepreneurial culture. MAC is committed to being an active voice for the business community, serving as an advocate for a competitive business climate and promoting Atlanta's story.
About MAC’s Global Commerce Team
The Global Commerce team is the international component of MACs award-winning economic development division and works seamlessly with the other two teams of the division: Project Management and Ecosystem Expansion. The team has a keen business understanding, is globally focused, diplomatic, pragmatic, and mindful of international perspectives. The Global Commerce team appreciates that international trade and investment is a two-way street, and in that spirit, it builds and nurtures fruitful relationships with partners overseas and domestic.
Responsibilities (What you will do):
The Senior Manager, Global Business Development reports to the Vice President, Global Commerce and supports the international trade and investment endeavors of MAC.
- Direct the Atlanta Metro Export Challenge (MEC) a collaborative regional economic development initiative which has issued more than $500k in grants to small and medium enterprises in metro Atlanta since its beginning.
- Promote grant program among metro Atlanta companies
- Manage incoming grant applications
- Coordinate grant selection process
- Manage the distribution of grant funds
- Communicate with grant recipients on a regular basis
- Monitor and report the Atlanta MEC impact
- Maintain a database of export-related contacts and export leads
- Manage the annual “Pitch Day” event of the MEC
- Outreach with local partners to advise companies on export opportunities, strategies and development.
- Participate in export-promotion activities (conferences, seminars, trade shows and other key events) locally and in strategic global markets.
- Oversee MAC’s Certificate of Origin program.
- Support foreign direct investment (FDI) economic development strategy and projects:
- Help introduce and promote metro Atlanta as a top-tier region for foreign-owned enterprises (FOEs) considering US market entry.
- Generate new FDI leads and nurture such for handover to the Project Management team if they become projects.
- Lead or contribute with regional economic development partners to presentations to international prospects.
- Grow network of international partners domestically and overseas to seek new opportunities.
- Work with MAC Project Management and regional economic development organizations to assist FOEs already located in the region grow and expand.
- Maintain excellent relations with Georgia consular corps, trade offices, US Commercial Service, city and state protocol offices and other key partners.
- Expand metro-to-metro collaborations overseas with key industry sectors in cooperation with MAC Ecosystem Expansion and regional and international partners.
- Conduct meetings with visiting foreign dignitaries and delegations.
- Lead or participate in seminars concerning economic development in metro Atlanta.
- Represent MAC in international receptions, events in metro Atlanta.
- Assist in planning, executing high-level international events at MAC.
- Travel domestically and internationally to meet with partners, prospects and attend conferences, trade shows, etc.
Qualifications (What you will bring):
- Bachelor’s degree with international focus preferred.
- Work experience in international affairs/business; background in international trade, foreign investment, or global relations preferred.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to build positive relationships with international and local partners and stakeholders.
- Well-developed public speaking skills and excellent communication skills.
- Budgetary skills and understanding of basic financial management principles.
- Multilingual capabilities preferred.
- Professional economic development experience, including project management preferred.
- Willing to travel and work outside of normal business hours.
- You can easily pivot between strategic and tactical execution and aren’t afraid to roll up your sleeves at a moment’s notice.