Major Tasks, Responsibilities and Accountability
The primary role of the Soldier Hollow Cross-Country Head Coach is to lead the Team Soldier Hollow Cross Country Comp team and further develop Soldier Hollows Nordic programs, which includes integration with Team SoHo Devo and Youth Programs. The Nordic Head Coach is responsible for ensuring that the vision of Team SoHo is implemented across all levels of Team SOHO Cross-Country programs. The Nordic Head coach reports to the Senior Manager of Sport Programs and works closely with the Biathlon Head Coach to ensure XC and Biathlon program cohesivity.
- Work with Sr Sport Manager to create and maintain a seasonal (Summer & Winter) Cross-Country Sport Program Guide.
- Assist with training, scheduling and management of all Team SoHo XC staff.
- Assist Sr Sport Manager in developing the annual Soldier Hollow Nordic budget. Manage programs within set budget.
- Work with assistant coaches and volunteers and be available to assist Sr Sport Manager with staffing plan.
- Maintain relationship with the Nordic community to include local clubs, university sport programs and other organizations that may use Soldier Hollow facilities for programs or competitions.
- Assist marketing department with maintenance of the Soldier Hollow web site and use social media as a means of informing parents on club activities, programs, news and events.
Team Soldier Hollow Coaching
- Implement day-to-day training for Team Soldier Cross-Country Comp Team (U16/U18/U20).
- Create and manage training programs for all Team Soldier Hollow Cross-Country Comp Athletes. Work together with Biathlon Coach to ensure coordination on racing and training plans.
- Assist Devo Head Coach in planning of daily Devo (U14/U12) Team training and yearly plan.
- Assist Nordic Center Supervisor in oversight and implementation of Team Soldier Hollow Kickers and Gliders program.
- Assist Sr Sport Manager with identifying new athlete opportunities, with the goal of growing Team SoHo participation numbers.
- Assist with the organization of local, national and international competitions at Soldier Hollow.
- Assist with further upgrades to facilities and equipment consistent with capital plan and consistent with international standards.
- Collaborate on day-to-day and annual maintenance of the Soldier Hollow cross-country facilities and equipment, including rollerski and ski fleet upkeep.
- Collaborate on recruitment opportunities for programs, such as school outreach and after school programs.
- Assist with Sport/Public/Marketing events as necessary.
- Work with marketing staff on marketing/promotional plans for the Soldier Hollow Nordic program.
- Create and implement communication tools/plan for all levels of programs.
- Assist with all Team SoHo and Soldier Hollow venue fundraising events.
Required Knowledge and Essential Skills
- Knowledge/experience of Nordic sport at regional and national levels international exposure a plus.
- Extensive knowledge of Nordic equipment and facilities.
- Excellent organizational, coordination, oral and written skills.
- Proactive and positive attitude, and able to work independently.
- Must work well in a team environment with the ability to lead.
- Proficiency with PC applications and Microsoft Office programs, such as Word, Excel, Publisher, Power Point.
- Flexible work schedule.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong coaching background in cross country skiing (3+ years preferred). Biathlon exposure a plus.
- U.S. Ski and Snowboard Level 100 minimum. Level 200 preferred.
- University degree, with qualifications in exercise science or related field a plus.
- Safe Sport Certified & CPR/First Aid may be acquired after hired.
- Valid Drivers License and ability to become driver certified through UOLF.
Environmental Job Requirements
- Ability to work outdoors in all temperature/weather extremes.
Required In-House Training
- UAF Orientation
- Sexual Harassment
- Drug & Alcohol
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter the scope of work within the framework of the job description at any time without prior notice.