Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast (PPGC) is the nations leading womens health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPGC has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve womens health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood cares passionately about helping women, men and young people lead healthy lives. We believe that when people are truly cared for, they will make their lives, their families- and even the world- better and healthier.
"Care. No matter what." is who we are and what we do. It's our promise as a health care provider, educator, and advocate to truly care, no matter who you are, no matter where you live. It expresses our belief that all people deserve high-quality, affordable health care; our resolve to educate and inform people so they can make their own health decisions; and our commitment to fight for women to get the reproductive services they need.
Planned Parenthood seeks a world in which all children are wanted and cared for, all individuals have equal rights and dignity, sexuality is expressed with honesty, equality, and responsibility, and the decision to bear children is private and voluntary.
The mission of Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast, Inc. is to ensure the right and ability of all individuals to manage their sexual and reproductive health by providing health services, education and advocacy.
Where We Are
PPGC operates six health centers in the Greater Houston area and two in Louisiana.
Under the general supervision and direction of the Community Engagement Team Manager, the Community Organizer is responsible for grassroots efforts to organize, empower and mobilize supporters to take action in support of Planned Parenthoods mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement effective programs, actions and campaigns to increase advocacy for local Planned Parenthood supporters.
- Guides community outreach, fieldwork, voter contact, and activist cultivation.
- Recruits and supports activists in targeted geographic areas to be informed on local, state and national reproductive health issues and take action to further the public affairs goals of Planned Parenthood.
- Develops, guides and coordinates grassroots mobilization efforts, including the voter education, engagement and mobilization efforts in support of both state and federal legislative issues.
- Organizes and executes field tactics such as phone banks, door-to-door canvasses, and other community events such as house parties, town hall meetings, volunteer orientations, and leadership development trainings.
- Develops, grows and maintains influential relationships with coalition partners, elected officials and their staff, community organizations, business organizations, the general public, the voting public and affiliate, statewide, and federation level staff.
- Builds capacity and grassroots partnerships to effectively advance state and federal policy initiatives.
- Oversee communication with supporters via phone, in person and e-organizing efforts. Works existing lists for purposes of movement building. Responsible for meeting state and affiliate goals with regard to list building and cleanup, voter identification and voter engagement.
- Works with the Community Engagement Team Manager and other affiliate staff to develop strategic and annual field plans and goals and executes on tactics and strategies as outlined in the plans.
- Manage and maintain volunteer records and all public affairs data in constituent management software, including the Voter Activation Network database, Volunteer Hub, and Every Action.
- Collaborate and coordinate with affiliate Communications & Marketing staff for all message development, creative needs, social media efforts, digital communications, media relations management and events.