LNP | LancasterOnline is looking for a Reporter, General Assignment who will specialize in health and wellness to join our team! General assignment reporters are storytellers, nimble investigators, curious researchers. Do you love to break down complex ideas for easy consumption? Are you curious about how changing rules or new products might matter to regular people and are you willing to find out and tell them? Do you love connecting with people, and writing in a way that readers connect, too? Necessary skills and attributes are urgency, curiosity and a need to make our product relentlessly interesting. This reporter might partner with the environment reporter on lead abatement or how tainted well-water can make children sick, or they might work with local doctors on an analysis of what vaccine is right for who and when. This position reports to the work/wellness team leader and deputy.
Why work with us?
We know that employees are a business’s greatest asset and the primary driver of success. We are committed to attracting and retaining people who are bright, curious, flexible, and energetic, to ensure our progress for the next 225 years.
As a team member at LNP | LancasterOnline, you’ll enjoy:
- Paid Holidays
- Benefits: medical, prescription, dental, vision, short-term disability, basic life insurance
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Wellness program
- Employee Assistance Program
LNP | LancasterOnline
LNP | LancasterOnline, a family-owned community newspaper in Lancaster County and one of the highest-circulation daily media organizations in Pennsylvania. LNP | LancasterOnline is the company’s flagship daily newspaper and digital property that together serve as the county’s number one source for news and information.
Essential Job Functions (Full Description):
This reporter is expected to:
- Exercise solid news judgment, a sense of urgency and the highest journalistic standards.
- Produce daily as well as mid- and longer-range enterprise stories.
- Regularly curate and aggregate content from other sources and present them with relevance and context for our LancasterOnline audience, with additional commentary and explanation.
- Actively build a social media presence by posting content and engaging with our audience. Look for video and social opportunities for story coverage.
- Use digital metrics to gauge how well stories perform with our LancasterOnline audience and, with input from editors, decide how to improve poor performers or stop writing about topics that perform poorly altogether.
- Brainstorm and collaborate with other members of the Work & Wellness Team to break news, launch projects and layer coverage in proven high reader-interest areas.
Reporters are expected to develop authoritative sources in the community, collaborate with other LNP | LancasterOnline journalists and identify stories that are compelling to this community news organizations audience. Reporters are also expected to meet the demands of a growing digital audience by routinely using social media, shooting photographs and video, and understanding how to post their work using a content-management system.