Job Description: (Sweet) Pepper Breeder
San Luis Obispo Seeds, Inc. (dba US Agriseeds), is the U.S operating subsidiary of VoloAgri Group, Inc., a Non-GMO vegetable seed technology and breeding company dedicated to Cultivating Global Health. We take pride in passionately serving every customer with customized vegetable seed and technical service solutions they can count on. Our innovative seeds produce plants with increased yields, improved disease resistance, and post-harvest processing advantages while still achieving exceptional taste! This reduces the environmental farming footprint while increasing the healthy consumption of delicious vegetables.
Our diverse team of industry experts are stationed around the world. Our Global Corporate Headquarters is based in Woodland, CA and satellite offices in Holland and Mexico City; and research stations in California (Woodland), Mexico (Culiacan), and Spain (Almeria). Our prized collection of seeds has been developed under several brands including US Agriseeds and Axia.
Location: USA / Mexico
Position: (Sweet) Pepper Breeder
VoloAgri Group is looking for a driven and ambitious breeder, with several years of vegetable breeding experience to develop new, innovative, and differentiating varieties for world markets.
We seek a Breeder that enjoys working in a motivated team, with a solid experience in modern breeding technologies and phytopathology. He or she must have a hands-on mentality, capable of working with teams. The ideal candidate will have most or all of the skills, knowledge, experience, and personal characteristics listed.
This candidate is responsible for developing new sweet pepper (blocky & mini) hybrids for the mid tech greenhouses and open field. While breeding for global market segments, main focus would be North and South America. The sweet pepper breeder will be reporting to the Director of research interacting with the breeding teams at different research and trial stations. Frequent travel between our stations in Woodland, CA and Culiacan, MX will be required.
- Lead a sweet pepper breeding program with support of an assistant breeder and a technician.
- In close coordination with the Director of research develop the crop specific R&D strategies based on market segmentation profiles and set breeding priorities.
- Conduct research activities (crossing blocks, evaluations, screening, laboratory and agronomic activities, trait development and develop inbred lines for (trial) seed production.
- Collaborate with Universities, USDA and other research related platforms for the betterment of VoloAgris germplasm and breeding techniques and technologies
- Assure homogenous, cohesive execution of crop protocols and procedures within VoloAgri perimeter
- As a member of the research team contribute to the strategy for the department and execute actions in the Operations perimeter.
- Reinforce, communicate and coordinate the Quality System Management Policy as well as Plant Health Safety & Environmental policy
- Travel domestically and internationally
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum of 5-10 years relevant work experience in vegetable breeding preferably in Solanum crops
- A thorough knowledge of modern plant breeding and associated technologies,
- Well acquainted with various cultivation techniques
- Proficiency in English language is required
- Good market knowledge
Skills and Personal Traits:
- A passion for applied plant breeding,
- The ability to develop and implement a breeding program,
- People and management skills,
- High drive, results oriented, ambitious, creative, persistent, hands-on,
- Excellent communication, relationship building, and interpersonal skills,
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate with other scientists and breeders to achieve goals.
- PhD or MSc in Plant Breeding.
VoloAgri Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive compensation package
- Medical & dental insurance
- Section 125 Dependent Care plans, 401(k) Plan
- Vacation, sick and holiday time off
Work Authorization: Must provide proof of authorization to work in Mexico
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.