THE POSITION OPERATES FROM MID-MAY TO LATE AUGUST, APPROX. 35 HOURS A WEEK, $18.00 AN HOUR.
Under the direction and guidance of the Kitchen Food Director and consistent with the mission of the YMCA and the policies and guidelines of the YMCA of Western North Carolina, the Kitchen Assistant will be responsible for initiating, implementing and overseeing food preparation for campers, staff and volunteers.
- Help support the mission of the camp by preparing meals that meet disclosed dietary needs and are served according to kitchen menus and program schedules.
- Provide excellent customer service by maintaining a clean and safe Dining Hall environment.
- Serve as a point of contact in the Kitchen for Camp staff, members, and tenants.
- Perform quality work within given deadlines and expectations with or without direct supervision.
- Serve effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Interact professionally with other employees, members, program participants, volunteers, and other individuals within the community while always being mindful of the YMCA’s four core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
- Ensure high quality and timely food service delivery and utmost cleanliness of dining hall facilities in accordance with Department of Health of North Carolina, Swain County regulations, and YMCA and American Camp Association policies.
- Assist in identifying and resolving risk management issues.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with appropriate individuals.
- Manage sufficient servings for each participant and staff.
- Assist with assigned maintenance and housekeeping projects when kitchen is not in operation.
- Assist in the dish room after meals.
- Must be 18 years or older
- High School Diploma
- Experience in a camp environment preferred
- Skill and experience in using Kitchen equipment (Range, tilt skillet, mixer, ovens, etc.)
- Knowledgeable about food preparation and storage rules responsibilities that also include American Camp Association, State and County guidelines.
- Can operate and work in the dish room.
- Serve Safe Certification.
The YMCA of Western North Carolina’s mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We interpret our Christian principles through our core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
We bring our mission and core values to life through our culture: We are welcoming: by being open to all. We are genuine: by valuing you and embracing your individuality. We are hopeful: by believing in you and your potential. We are nurturing: by supporting you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: Above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
The YMCA of WNC does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, faith, gender, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification applies.