APLA Health’s mission is to achieve health care equity and promote well-being for the LGBT and other underserved communities and people living with and affected by HIV. We are a nonprofit, federally qualified health center serving more than 14,000 people annually. We provide 20 different services from 15 locations throughout Los Angeles County, including: medical, dental, and behavioral health care; PrEP counseling and management; health education and HIV prevention; and STD screening and treatment. For people living with HIV, we offer housing support; benefits counseling; home health care; and the Vance North Necessities of Life Program food pantries; among several other critically needed services. Additionally, we are leaders in advocating for policy and legislation that positively impacts the LGBT and HIV communities, provide capacity-building assistance to health departments across the country, and conduct community-based research on issues affecting the communities we serve. For more information, please visit us at aplahealth.org.
APLA Health is currently seeking a Medical Assistant to join our team! We offer great benefits, competitive pay, and great working environment!
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance (no cost for employee)
- Vision Insurance (no cost for employee)
- Long Term Disability
- Group Term Life and AD&D Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 3 Personal Days
- 10 Vacation Days
- 12 Sick Days
- Metro reimbursement or free parking
- Employer Matched 403b Retirement Plan
This is a great opportunity to make a difference!
NOTE: Position requires for candidate to be extremely comfortable drawing blood.
The Medical Assistant will provide patient care services under the direction of a licensed health care provider to APLA Health & Wellness patients. The Medical Assistant will perform administrative front office and clinical back office duties in the medical clinic, including submitting and tracking referrals, taking vital signs, preparing examining rooms, administering medications as ordered by a licensed healthcare provider, performing phlebotomy and other technical clinical functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or has a logical assignment to this position.
- Greets and register patients when needed; assists them with completion of necessary forms; answers telephones and schedules appointments; retrieves medical files; maintains medical records and files.
- Prepares treatment rooms, ensuring that rooms are neat and clean, and stocked with the necessary supplies and equipment for patient examination; maintains sanitary and sterile supplies and equipment.
- Interviews patients to obtain basic medical information and history; measures and records vital signs, height, weight and body mass index (BMI); prepares medical records for provider review.
- Performs phlebotomy to collect blood samples; collects urine and other non-invasive specimens; logs specimens for testing; performs urine dip sticks and finger-sticks for hemoglobin and glucose measurements.
- Maintains monthly equipment logs, i.e. Glucometer, Hemocue, and Refrigerators.
- Assists physicians and nurses in examining and treating patients; handling instruments; preparing and disinfecting treatment sites; applying and removing dressing and bandages; administers medications in accordance with providers orders; administers subcutaneous and intramuscular injections as ordered by mid-level providers and physicians.
- Assist in the preparation of reports as requested.
- Carries out patient discharge processes; clarifies and provides patients with follow-up care instructions and referrals.
- Follows steps outlined in APLA Health & Wellness referral tracking policy to ensure that patients gets the referrals needed and that referrals are appropriately logged and tracked.
- Administers Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) in a medical emergency.
OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED TO MEET BUSINESS NEEDS.