New Directions Residential Counselor - Schenectady, NY
The schedule for this position is - Monday: 3p-11p, Tuesday: 3p-11p, Wednesday: 7a-3p, Thursday: 7a-3p, Friday: OFF, Saturday: OFF, Sunday: 7a-3p; Applicants must be able to work this schedule.
The New Directions program is seeking a full-time Residential Youth Counselor out of our Residential Treatment Center in the Niskayuna/Schenectady area. This option serves young women ages 16 and 17. These adolescents historically have entered the criminal justice system for non-violent offenses prior to the enactment of Raise the Age legislation in the state. This position will be part of a multidisciplinary team that delivers an innovative program model to help young women address factors that lead to criminal behavior and work toward successful community reintegration.
- Work within trauma-informed framework of program, including identifying and using copying/safety plans, maintaining consistency, providing regular routine, and controlling own response to youth.
- Understand and apply the general framework and expected outcomes of the various treatment models used with the youth to help build protective domains and diminish negative behaviors to decrease the rate of recidivism, all while working as a member of an interdisciplinary treatment team.
- Provide a safe environment for the youth on this unit
- Engage and form positive relationships will all youth served
- Display basic competency in TCI techniques
- Transport clients for medical, mental health, and other essential needs
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor's degree, OR Associate's degree plus 6 months experience, OR high school plus 3 years of experience is required
- Must be 21 years of age or older as per regulatory requirements
- Experience with adolescents in the juvenile justice system is desired; experience with vulnerable populations will be considered
- Valid and clean (less than 6 points) driver's license is required
If you’ve got the talent, drive and desire to make a real difference in your community, you need to be a part of Northern Rivers Family of Services. We’re a family of human service agencies united in our passion to help the children, adults, and families of the Capital Region and beyond.
Our employees receive a generous time off and health care package, tuition reimbursement, loan repayment assistance, free training/CEU opportunities, flexible work schedule, and much more!
Apply today to become part of our team!
Northern Rivers is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
The Company will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant.