APLA Health’s mission is to achieve health care equity and promote well-being for the LGBT and other underserved communities and people living with and affected by HIV. We are a nonprofit, federally qualified health center serving more than 14,000 people annually. We provide 20 different services from 15 locations throughout Los Angeles County, including: medical, dental, and behavioral health care; PrEP counseling and management; health education and HIV prevention; and STD screening and treatment. For people living with HIV, we offer housing support; benefits counseling; home health care; and the Vance North Necessities of Life Program food pantries; among several other critically needed services. Additionally, we are leaders in advocating for policy and legislation that positively impacts the LGBT and HIV communities, provide capacity-building assistance to health departments across the country, and conduct community-based research on issues affecting the communities we serve. For more information, please visit us at aplahealth.org.
APLA Health is currently seeking a Prevention Training Specialist, Party Wise Program to join our Baldwin Hills team! We offer great benefits, competitive pay, and great working environment!
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance (no cost for employee)
- Vision Insurance (no cost for employee)
- Long Term Disability
- Group Term Life and AD&D Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 3 Personal Days
- 10 Vacation Days
- 12 Sick Days
- Metro reimbursement or free parking
- Employer Matched 403b Retirement Plan
This is a great opportunity to make a difference!
Under the direction of the Program Manager, Substance Abuse Programs, the Prevention Training Specialist, Party Wise Program will focus on the recruitment of MSM and transgender individuals who use methamphetamine into the APLA Health & Wellness’ Crystal Methamphetamine Program.
The Prevention Training Specialist is responsible for helping to develop, implement, monitor and evaluate all promotional materials for the program, inclusive of print, video and social media platforms, conduct trainings/workshops. Assist in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of all training services for the program.
Other responsibilities include direct or virtual contact during participants’ one on one sessions, participant’s drug testing visits and follow-up with clients, as well as the distribution of safer sex materials to members of the target demographic when appropriate. The Prevention Training Specialist also ensures that the program is coordinated with APLA Health & Wellness’ harm reduction philosophy and larger health education goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Recruit members of the target population to participate in-group level interventions. Trainings may include Crystal Methamphetamine 101, HIV and STD 101, communication skills, identifying available resources, and health education related activities; including but not limited to, HIV testing and Contingency Management Intervention.
- Coordinate/facilitate in person or virtually facilitated trainings for target populations.
- Gather and update data for the Referral Network, which will provide target populations and other community stakeholders with links to HIV testing, STD screening/treatment, substance abuse intervention/treatment, and mental health services as well as other health education related areas.
- Assist with data entry and other administrative tasks.
- Assist the Program Manager, in administering the pre- and post-intervention test, as well as conducting key informant surveys and pre-intervention field observations as necessary.
- Assist in the development and implementation of in person or virtual community forums.
- Work with stakeholders and APLA Health & Wellness’ community partners, including but not limited to the black/African American and brown communities, gay community, mental health providers, substance abuse counselors, treatment centers, Los Angeles County Division of HIV and STD Programs, and other community-based agencies, in facilitating HIV prevention efforts as well as other health education activities, harm reduction strategies, and establishing linkages, including but not limited to, HIV testing and treatment. Fostering partnerships among these stakeholders.
- Serve as a consultant for harm reduction initiatives to commercial sex venue owners, managers and staff.
- Coordinate the design and layout of collateral materials supporting prevention activities, including but not limited to; program flyers, publicity campaigns, monthly calendars and other materials as needed.
- Monitor all social media activity relating to the Party Wise Program.
- Develop and implement a community mobilization plan targeting outreach venues.
- Conduct outreach to the target population at locations frequented by target population or through social media platforms.
- Assist the Substance Abuse Programs Manager, in the development and implementation of community forums and workshops.
- Assist in the dissemination of lessons learned by developing and submitting abstracts for presentations at professional meetings and local conferences and presenting at community forums.
- Ensure culturally and linguistically appropriate services. Prepare quantitative and qualitative reports as assigned.
- Supervise volunteers as necessary.
- Serve as speaker/facilitator for trainings.
- Supervise volunteers and peer health educators as necessary.
- Attend community/public meetings as necessary.
- Work with the Evaluation Specialist to develop and implement program evaluations, quality improvement plans, and to develop and implement program curricula
- Prepare quantitative and qualitative reports as assigned.
- Provides counseling and rapid HIV testing to clients seeking those services when appropriate.
- Maintain and ensures documentation required by funders and agency Quality Management on file.
OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED TO MEET BUSINESS NEEDS.