Job Title: Sr. Director, Public Relations
Department: Central Communications, Public Relations
Reports To: Head of Communications
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: El Segundo, CA
Revised: July 2022
Square Enix, the company behind some of the world’s most popular action and RPG brands including Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts is looking for a motivated, passionate and experienced communications professional to join our team and help take our business to the next level. In this role, the Public Relations Director will excel at both developing winning communications strategies and driving the execution of tactical plans with precision.
This person will possess extensive media relations experience, have expertise in translating complex concepts into broadly digestible stories and have strong leadership skills. This is a highly- visible role requiring engagement with senior leadership at Square Enix, as well as studio leadership across the globe.
- Develop effective PR strategies for AAA/AA games
- Direct and oversee the creation of high-impact, proactive integrated communications plans to launch products and support business growth
- Lead internal teams and manage external PR agencies to drive campaign execution in the Americas
- Provide PR counsel to senior management and executives
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams in NA, Europe and Japan
- Successfully manage complex, fast-moving and unexpected communications challenges and reactive media issues
- Effectively identify and introduce new processes that will drive efficiencies, support close collaboration and improve workflows across the organization
- Plan and execute digital and physical events that deliver traditional and social media coverage
- Set objectives for the PR team, monitor performance and provide training and career development
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s (BA) degree preferred in journalism, communications or marketing.
- 12+ years of experience in gaming communications, technology or consumer products.
- Japanese language skills and/or experience working with Japanese corporations preferred.
Competencies, Skills and Attributes
- Possess a strong understanding of the power of online communities, streamers and influencers as well as traditional press
- Passion for and current understanding of, evolving communications trends
- Proven ability to lead and influence diverse groups of people to achieve desired results
- Executive presence, strong presentation skills and professional maturity
- Possess project management, problem solving and analytics skills. Strong written and verbal communications skills is a must
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment and resolve issues in a professional manner
- Flexibility and willingness to independently navigate areas of unfamiliarity
- Independent worker (i.e., takes initiative and works well with little supervision)
- Passion for gaming