Job Title: Legal Advocate
Department: Legal Advocacy
Reports To: Legal Advocacy Program Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Human Options Mission: We ignite social change by educating Orange County to recognize relationship violence as an issue that threatens everyone, advocating for those affected by abuse, extending a safe place for victims and empowering survivors on their journey of healing.
Human Options Vision: We are committed to a future in which every person and family in Orange County experiences safe, healthy, relationships and lives free from fear.
The following is a summary of the essential functions of the job. The employee may perform other duties, both essential and non-essential, that are not mentioned below; and specific responsibilities may vary.
The Legal Advocate conducts initial assessments with domestic violence clients to identify existing or anticipated legal issues, and provides education, referrals, direct services, and resources to support clients. This person educates clients on their legal options available and works with the client to achieve the legal goals that the advocate and client have created.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess level and history of violence experienced and aid in the development of a safety plan for victims and their children.
- Provide information to victims of domestic violence about the laws, resources, and services available.
- Develop and maintain relationships with and knowledge of Orange County’s domestic violence service providers and resources, and give appropriate referrals to clients.
- Learn and maintain information on domestic violence laws regarding individual rights and protections under California State Law i.e. protective orders, restraining orders etc.
- Coordinate victim support services provided by law enforcement, prosecution and the courts.
- Conduct outreach to community partners to improve community’s response to domestic violence.
- Coordinate legal clinics where appropriate.
- Attend court with clients as appropriate to provide emotional support.
- Document all interactions with clients and follow up with appropriate documentation in files and data entry- all in an accurate and within agency deadlines requirements.
- Work evenings and weekends as needed, including at least two regular weekly evening shifts.
- Regular travel and mobile advocacy services throughout Orange County.
- Abide by professional confidentiality guidelines of organization.
- Ability to abide by Human Options value: diversity, respect, curiosity, ingenuity, individuality.
- Other duties as assigned.