This position will be primarily responsible for the efficient processing of all sales tax activities and compliance within the Vantage organization. This includes the collection, validation, and retention of customer state sales tax exemption certificates; communication regarding taxation policies; support for business units with audits, reporting and processing; support for system integration initiatives to support compliance; and any other tasks as necessary.
- Address internal and external customer queries relating to sales tax matters in a timely, helpful manner.
- Answer customer phone calls to assist them in completion of the correct sales tax exemption forms and/or assist with any queries related to sales tax.
- Process and respond to emails sent to the department, including coordinating the process of obtaining Tax Exemption certificates for new customers.
- Verify customer state sales tax exemption forms for completeness and accuracy.
- Maintain digital records of exemption certificates mailed by customers.
- Prepare and process sales tax credit requests.
- Communicate with customer assigned credit managers to update account records as requested by customer.
- Assist in sales tax audits with duties to include, but are not limited to, pulling data copies from document retention warehouse, document validations, contacting customers for updated forms, updating sales tax database.
- Assist with the periodic reviews and update of customer certificates/information on file to ensure that Avalara holds the appropriate documentation for all customers listed as tax exempt.
- Participate in company initiatives such as filings, tax research, customer outreach etc.
- Responsible for maintaining the Company’s compliance filings (such as annual report, license renewal etc.) in all states that the Company does business.
- Handle any daily API errors that occur in the Company’s sales tax system, CertCapture.
- Assist in preparing monthly sales tax filing reports, as necessary.
- Assist any other member of the accounting team with ad-hoc projects, as necessary