APLA Health’s mission is to achieve health care equity and promote well-being for the LGBT and other underserved communities and people living with and affected by HIV. We are a nonprofit, federally qualified health center serving more than 14,000 people annually. We provide 20 different services from 15 locations throughout Los Angeles County, including: medical, dental, and behavioral health care; PrEP counseling and management; health education and HIV prevention; and STD screening and treatment. For people living with HIV, we offer housing support; benefits counseling; home health care; and the Vance North Necessities of Life Program food pantries; among several other critically needed services. Additionally, we are leaders in advocating for policy and legislation that positively impacts the LGBT and HIV communities, provide capacity-building assistance to health departments across the country, and conduct community-based research on issues affecting the communities we serve. For more information, please visit us at aplahealth.org.
APLA Health is currently seeking a Dental Assistant to join our team! We offer great benefits, competitive pay, and great working environment!
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance (no cost for employee)
- Vision Insurance (no cost for employee)
- Long Term Disability
- Group Term Life and AD&D Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 3 Personal Days
- 10 Vacation Days
- 12 Sick Days
- Metro reimbursement or free parking
- Employer Matched 403b Retirement Plan
This is a great opportunity to make a difference!
The Dental Assistant works under the supervision of licensed Dentist. As a Dental Assistant you will provide chair-side support to the Dentist during patient treatment. Other duties include instrument sterilization, maintaining dental office cleanliness and asepsis, assisting in language translation between doctor and patient, and other front office duties as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide efficient chair-side assistance to the Dentist in the clinic. Welcome and greet every patient in the clinic.
- Help patients feel comfortable before, during and after treatment.
- Help provide direct patient care in all dental specialties, including endodontics and oral surgery.
- Prepare the treatment room, have instruments, equipment and materials ready.
- Position instruments for Dentist access, be prepare to suction and pass instruments when needed or requested by the Dentist or Hygienist.
- Provide information to the patient by answering questions and request.
- Maintain patient record by taking dental histories and medical histories.
- Take and record vital signs before treatment initiates.
- Perform patient charting as instructed by the Dentist.
- Take and develop dental radiographs (x-rays).
- Take impressions as instructed by the Dentist and pour models.
- Perform coronal polishing (if licensed by the Dental Board of California)
- Fabricate temporary restorations (if licensed by the Dental Board of California)
- Clean, pack and sterilize instruments and use correct PPE when handling sterile and non-sterile instruments.Provide post-operative instructions as prescribed by the Dentist.
- Maintain a clean and safe environment by complying with the procedures, rules and regulations of the clinic.
- Protect yourself and patients by adhering to infection-control policies and procedures.
- Ensure operations for dental equipment by completing preventative maintenance requirements following manufacturer’s instructions.
- Help maintain dental supply inventory.
- Help Dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining a CPR certification, have knowledge of where the medical emergency kit and oxygen tank are stored.
- Assist in maintaining OSHA and HIPAA compliance.
- Assist the front office when needed.
- Be a visible representative of APLA Dental Services, Inc. in the community and occasionally network with other community based organizations to help improve relationships and ensure maximum availability of resources for our patients.
OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED TO MEET BUSINESS NEEDS.