PRIMARY OBJECTIVES: Support in vivo oncology studies in mice as a member of the Vivarium Operations Team
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide animal care including handling, receipt and husbandry procedures
- Provide animal care including feeding and watering with food and water consumption monitoring
- Conduct animal observation for general health and overall well-being
- Clean equipment, rooms and facility according to a schedule devised by senior personnel; including floor sweeping and washing, cage washing and sterilization, and waste removal
- Document and initial required information in relevant room and log books
- Material and supply distribution and waste handling
- Record data using laboratory information management systems
- Work weekends and holidays on rotating basis
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work effectively and productively in a team-oriented environment while maintaining a strong sense of accountability, integrity and confidentiality.
- Creative problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise sound and accurate judgment in making timely decisions.
- Superior planning, organizational, computer, written, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to assist with other duties in a dynamic environment
- Understanding of animal welfare and clinical testing regulations and standards (e.g. AAALAC, CLIA)
- Ability to observe safety and security procedures
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must be able to sit and use hands to finger, handle and feel.
- Must be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time using a computer in a typical office environment in a multi-level facility
- Some activities require repetitive motion and reaching, pulling or pushing.
- In carrying out the duties of the job there will be frequent exposure to fumes and chemical hazards.
- Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS degree in biology, pharmacology, or related field, or minimum or 1 year of related experience
- Experience in contract research animal facility or industry setting is preferred
- AALAS certification preferred